Friday 7 June 2024

Grey skirt with rainbow trim

 

I made this pattern before in both the short length (which this version is) and also the long length. The old blog post on the shorter version really shows how rubbish I was a few years ago at blogging and how much better my posts have become! It seems I never got any decent photos of my previous version of this pattern so I may need to do something about that because the black velvet skirt is a really nice garment and worthy of a better post. 

Its a Steampunk pattern but really the skirt is a lovely every day wear, that in the right fabric, works even for work. The last shorter length one was in velvet. I have worn it loads. This one is slightly different since its a woven stretch fabric. I made a short flapper dress frrom this fabric a couple of years ago and its a nice summer weight woven so I decided to see if it would work with what is really a stretch jersey fabric pattern.

I cut just outside the line I usually use for this skirt so its a little larger and you can see that in the photos. Its slightly too big really and less figure hugging than the velvet version and the other jersey versions I made before. I thought that cutting slightly larger should allow for the woven rather than jersey fabric, but maybe I could have got away with just cutting as usual? 


I do not know and did not want to take the risk but maybe next time I use a woven I should just cut my usual size and see if it works. I am working through offucts of fabric from my stash at the moment to reduce what I keep storing so I might make another in a woven just to see if it will fit. In theory it shouldn't because \i understand the jersey garments have negative ease, but who knows? Its worth a risk to just find out so I will make another of these in a similar grey "work" fabric and clear some ore stash. This will still be a decent enough summer short skirt that I can wear everywhere.


The pleats are large godets which are cut as part of the skirt anels. It has just 3 panels and is very easy to construct due to the high low hem meaning the panels only fit together in the right place so really you cannot go wrong when making this skirt pattern.

The fabric is a "boring"grey because I bought it for work clothes but with the rainbow striped ribbing it becomes still easy to wear but a little more fun I think. 

 

Unfortunately, I made the waistband slightly too wide so it goes a bit ruffled round the top like a tea bag trouser/ skirt waistband but I can live with that because I never tuck in my tops. 

To make the "piping trim roud the bottom I had to cut the ribbed fabric the opposite way which is a pain because its a long piece cut off the selvedge side of my ribbed fabric. The ribbed fabric was actually a bad buy because its too synthetic for what I bought it for and I canot handle wearing it as tops so I have 6m of the stuff but it does make a very cheap alternative to expensive ribbed cuffing and tubular ribbing for things like sweatshirts. I have recently used it for the cuffs of some kids clothing and it looks really good and is also nicely light weight. I may blog about the kids clothes another time. 

The top was made a while ago. Its a lycra dancewear fabric but was really cheap and I liked the print so much I made loads of garments from it a couple of years ago. Its used to fit me better but I have lost weight this year.





And for now thats it. I hope you have a great week and thanks for popping by my blog,

Bracken




No comments:

Post a Comment