Sunday 24 June 2018

Vivienne Westwood draped shirt free pattern


So as promised in my last post I am checking out FeyrTrade's new Craftsy class 
in order to make some sportswear. Then I gets a new post from her and it leads me slightly indirectly to  a very interesting fashion book which looks like a thesis and in this thesis is a link to this pattern.

Well how could I resist this challenge. I printed the pattern and went to put together only to find its a total nightmare man!

So I google it and I find a very helpful post here:
https://miss-minoes.blogspot.com/2015/04/sew-along-worlds-end-drape-shirt-part-1.html

Sadly the blogger who wrote this did not put a very good photo up of this but it still helped me loads as did the Worlds End pattern page itself since it has a photo of the pattern on the fabric.

And I have this boring fabric which is a polycotton stripe shirting type of fabric. I thought it might make a work shirt but to put all that time and effort into making something so boring is just not me. I prefer ( sin of all sins!) to go and just buy one if I need it. It will probably look better and be more finished than anythng I currently make so no. No shirt making from any boring fabrics. If I am going to make a shirt it needs to be unique so out of some fabric I can buy.

But for this pattern YES! Just perfect I think.

So here is my very messed up pattern - after seeing this folks you will believe anything is possible and you know what I reckon this is actually going to make me a lovely drape shirt despite my mess of pattern making.

So you want a laugh - look at this:

 I simply could not work out where toput the papers:

My floor is not big enough.

I have oodles of rugs everywhere since my 14 year old dog falls over and slips on the laminate so we have small ( washable cos he is also incontinent sometimes) rugs everywhere and the floor is covered in them.

Of course common sense says I should have picked them up first but I somehow did not realise how big the pattern is or that it does not go together like most normal ( eg Burda) patterns do at all. The pages are not sequential. So in the end I ID'd the sleeve, pocket, yoke and realised the  square that is front and back and has two holes for the sleeevs/yoke to attach to is actually a rectangle :

MY Rectangle measures as follows:
123cm ( neck and hem side) x 154cm (sides) after ripping off edges. Armholes are situated: from RHside 42cm, LHside 39cm, 11cm accross armholes, 16.5cm top/bottom, 51cm between armholes 34-35cm from upper edge, 70-72cm to lower edge. Arm/sleeve top is longer not shorter edge so givinga  big cowl neck.
 Then placing onto fabric - I had about 2m of this striped stuff:


 Totally mad and the worst put together pattern ever!

 Its the sleeve holes matter and distance between each sleeve hole and ech side and top/bottom etc.
 Then this huge rectangle did not fit on my table:
 Still its a Vivienne Westwood so probably has a slight bit of leeway I am thinking:
 Then I realise I have no pins. As in to cut out with cos I left them round a friends! Well this is possible to do I reckon with just some weights so I raid the kitchen for appropriate heavy jars:

and then I cut out the 2 sleeves, 2 yokes, buttonhole facings and pocket:

First I line up the sleeve pattern to the ripped edge:




 Then the yoke:



 And pocket and button hole facing:
 I have already realised I should probably use interfacing on the yoke so will do that and then show you when I have finished. 

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment