Tuesday 28 August 2018

Fringed Grey T shirt dress



I recently cleared out my wardrobe and threw a way a very tatty old Tshirt which was the same style as this top. The original top was white and I think from New Look quite a few years ago. I decided to make this one a dress though to wear with my leggings in Autumn and for the rest of what we have left of the summer.

I have had this reasonable sized piece of grey jersey for a while. Its left over from this top:

 http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/12/butterick-b5562-t-shirt-number-4.html

Its  a very simple top with just zigzagging up the side seams and around the armholes and then the excess fabric was cut into fringing. I did not even add shoulder seams or at the start a neck edge.
 

I added a neck edge or collar after wearing this last week because I like it and reckon it will not last long without. This dress also has a raw edge hem so no hem at all just the end of the fabric.

I did make one cock-up though. I am so used to sewing everything on the wrong side I sewed this up inside out - fabric wise anyway fogetting the sewing is actually going to be on the right side in this design. Probably means it will pill more quickly I suppose. The neck piece is right side so there is a very slight contrast.

If I make another at some future date I will also add shoulder seams simply to make it easier to add the collar. The lack of shaping ( its really just one large rectangle folded over and a hole cut for the neck) meant it was actually quite difficult to add the collar on and get a good finish. Its not too bad but could be better.



 So heres the photos 😊












For a quick summer dress its a good make because it took all of 10 minutes to sew it up and fringe the sides. Definitely worth considering if you need a very fast new dress or top. 
I have worn this three times since making and its a case so far as worn, washed, and worn again, so its a serious hit despite being so simple. I am coming to the conclusion my best makes are not the fitted difficult items I make but the fast thrown together often with no pattern makes and these seem to be what I choose to wear the most. Certainly food for thought that!

Have you made any simple dresses recently?
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment