Tuesday 7 August 2018

Black and white stripe dress


I decided to tidy up my fabric stash since it seems to have all fallen off the shelves while I have been rummaging and it has got to be a tangled mess. Whilst doing that I found this striped 4-way stretch that has been hanging around for a few months now. The day I cut this out it was raining. Its hot again now so I expect this will be a great little dress for the coming autumn. Its probably a bit hot for today. Its a different view of McCalls M6612. I have not made this view before but decided why not. I am getting a bit bored with view C which I usually make. Its a fast easy make so a good wardrobe filler. I also need to use up some of my stash since its getting out of control.

It needs slightly different construction to the other view because you have to finish off and hem the back neck before joining up the shoulder seams. The cowl is doble thickness so needs a light weight fabric else it will be pulling forwards too much and be too bulky. I think this fabric is going to be ok.
The only other option could be to use a heavier fabric for the back to kind of balance it a bit more. I am hoping that my version is going to work cos I hate heavy cowls. I made a pretty heavy cowl with both of my hoody cowl dresses ( below).

 http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/05/mmm17-day-4.htmlhttp://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2015/12/7-burdastyle-092015-hooded-cowl-neck.html
I think its likely whatever fabric you choose for these tho its going to be quite heavy.
They are both great in autumn /winter tho and I do wear them but tend to find them annoying for work and OK for shopping when its windy /rainy especially with a  gillet type top over them.

Anyway back to this dress- its all overlocked and twin needle hemmed. Inexpensive but good quality 4-way stretch which I already made some leggings out of here:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/03/productive-weekend-1-shirt-3-pairs-of.html








I wore this dress to work and it was good. A good make, I think I will get quite a bit of wear out of this one. I have no idea why I never made this view of this pattern before. I was put off by the cowl neck but actually its nice and makes a change from the usual look I go for.

Thanks for visiting 
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment