Sunday 28 July 2019

DIY Natural Carpet Freshener - Stench-of-Dog remover

The house smelled very "doggy" when I came home on Friday. Well if you have a dog, and I have two dogs, it usually does, but Friday was hot as have been the last few days. In fact apparently the hottest days ever recorded in the UK. Anyway Stench- of-Dog was extremely strong.

I have a very large rug in the lounge but otherwise we have hard floors which does keep much of that dog smell at bay because I mop everywhere.

Anyway I need to deal with this as a matter of urgency. If you have read my books you will know I am interested in natural products. I usually make my own cosmetics - lip balms, face creams, cold process soaps, room sprays etc. I sell them at festivals. However I also dabble in DIY household cleaning products. This is a new recipe for a very quick to make carpet freshener.

2 Cups of Bicarbonate of soda
5ml lemon essential oil
5ml grapefruit essential oil.

You can use any EOs really but you will need quite a bit. A few drops will not help with removing that doggy smell!

You can of course add more essential oil or use a fragrance oil instead.

Use a spoon to mix together very well. If you do decide to use your hands you should wear gloves to stop the essential oils from burning your skin. If possible you should also really wear safety specs just to ensure you do nto get any of the bicarb or essential oils in your eyes.

Spinkle on the carpet as you would a commercial product. Maybe work in with a dry cloth in a circular motion if it has also had something spilled on it because bicarb has some cleaning properties too but it will not clean heavily soiled carpets. You will need something stronger for that.

Leave for half an hour or so and hoover it off and yes the room smells lovely and the carpet no longer smells distinctly of dog. Its a very easy recipe and you can adapt as you wish.

Enjoy
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment