Wednesday 5 February 2020

Velvet leggings


 One of my January 2020, New Year resolutions was to make more sportwear. Its no big deal because the past however-many-years sportwear was always on the New Years sewing list. This even applies to my shopping aspirations before I sewed. I think its probably pretty general for most people at the start of the year.





































Anyway here are my lovely and very comfy velvet leggings which are mainly made from offcuts from several previous sewing experiments. They are made using McCalls M7261.

The black is the crushed velvet stretch I used for the recent not very successful swimwear I made as a pattern test for Ralph Pink. I also made these flares which you can ead about here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/11/velvet-pj-or-loungewear-pants.html
and I have a couple of other items still to be sewn in this stuff. Its stash busting you see.


Then the green on the ankles is pretty hideous really as you can see in my flares made here. This time I used it just on the ankles and turned it the other way up - nap-wise that is - so its darker green. You can only see the hideous green when I hold my leg up. See below.

 
I still have tons of this green velvet but no idea yet how to use it. It was an Ebay bargain that has not proved to be as useful as expected. I have about another 3m of the stuff so need a way to use it up. It seems OK for wearing mixed with other colours though.



The grey is the same as I used for my lovely Burda trousers.


Every year I consider cutting these up and repurposing because in summer these are just too warm but I keep talking myself out of that and every winter I am glad I did. These are the perfect cold weather lounge pants being lined as well.  I still have a few small offcuts of this grey velvet left so may try a sportswear top of some kind. These do not look like much really but still, I love wearing them.








I used the same pattern last January to make these leggings which have proved to be very wearable so hopefully these velvet ones will likewise be just as good. I had some problems with matching seams and seem to remember that was the same last time. I unpicked and resewed several times for a couple of the pointy bits on the sides, but in the end I think they are acceptable if not quite perfect.


They are certainly very comfortable!


Like the pair last year there is no elastic. The waistband relys totally on the stretch fabric. It works because I have now worn last years leggings loads and they are still going.


I am now trying desperately to finish the huge pile I cut out of all types of sewn garments and I seem to be finding it very difficult to get motivated to finish them.

See you next week, hopefully with something I can show you rather than lots of excuses as to why I cannot get motivated!
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment