Friday 21 February 2020

Velvet hoody

This is my long awaited velvet hoody. 

Long awaited because I bought the pattern and fabric for this over a year ago and only now managed to finaly get round to sewing this. I have already made a skirt and a pair of yoga/ PJ pants from this fabric but have kept making excuses not to make the top. Well here it is and I am very pleased with it.
 The neck is different to what I am used to because it has an extra bit in the front to make it higher than a plain hoody top. Its more like a proper sport top - if thats the right way to be thinking !

This is made from the same pattern as last years favourite top my red wear everywhere even the office top from McCalls M726. You can see the detail far better in the red top. I did the wrist warmers the same as last time using the pattern and directions from Melissa Feyer's "Sew Your Own Activewear" book. I thnk this time my sewing is not as good though. The velvet was really slippy and I ended up having to redo the thumb bits several times to get it right. Even then the wrist bits are a bit big and the red version works better. Still different fabrics etc..................



This is a close up of the neck with the "extender bit" that makes a high neck from a hood pattern. There is an extra bit at CF. Its actually very easy to make but did get me a bit confused and I had to actually read the instructions!


Its very difficult to get reasonable photos of this black velvet.


I cut the velvet with nap upwards to make it very dark the same as my recent velvet leggings but really this should work with several items I already made from this fabric even if the nap goes the opposite way which is does on the trousers and skirt. I have not linked back to the skirt because its a rubbish picture so I will need to take some more of that I think. I am intending to make a second shorter skirt from my offcuts - more later.

Its a very nice skirt made from this steampunk pattern and I have worn it for work loads so works very well for every day wear. Its a high low skirt but really very basic. I obviously need some better photos of that one!

Its interesting when you look back at your own blog posts because over time by simply repeating what you do things just become so much better.

My Mick takes my photos and has become a very good photographer it seems.

My photos are just taken with a mobile phone but they have become far better and more professional than at the start.


Winter dim gloomy lighting does not help these pictures either.



Even when the suns out they are a bit hard to see. I suppose its the nature of black velvet though!



Despite the camera problems this worked out to be a very wearable top. I have yet to discover it its really going to be the wardrobe staple the red one has become but time will tell.

Because its velvet I have already deided it needs to be the top layer. Under jackets it rucks up the jacket sleeves. I was walking round Aldi pulling my biker jacket sleeve down. The velvet was moving the lining up inside and it was causing my jacket sleeve to ruck up stranglely and uncomfortably. I expect people thought me very strange but has to be said its always a downside of velvet anything that you have to be careful what you wear over it. It can be very uncomfortable.


Mind you spring is hopefully on the way so this should be ideal on warmer days to wear on top of a Tshirt rather than under a jacket.
Thanks for reading.........
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment