Wednesday 22 July 2020

Basic Strappy Cami top - Rebecca Page patterns

 This is really my muslin but it turned out well I think, although for the next version I intend to go down a size but I think fit for this kind of garment is very subjective so probably thats just my preference. It does fit. 

I had to join the fabric at the centre back of the strap since this was made from scraps and I did not have a long enough bit. Thats made it a bit uneven on the back band. 










Other than that though, a very straighforward make. I really like to make basics sometimes instead of the more "exciting" sews I usually make. 

This will be useful for both summer tops and for winter underwear. I am tempted to pair with the basic thong pattern I made  a few weeks back. 

The fabric was left over from these dresses:


You can see more about the orange dress here and pink dress here.

I am really quite happy to find something I can make to get rid of my off-cuts of fabric and this top is ideal for that.  

I recently bought lots of new fabrics - all with interesting prints. Its not really very good though, because it means I have just built up my fabric stash again despite trying to reduce it. Its so hard when you sew to keep the fabric stash small! 

I mean what to do when you see a bargain (or even a high priced!) bit of very interesting fabric, especially when its your birthday and your partner wants to buy it for you?

Though later of course when its still in the way in 3 months time he will moan about it I expect.


Anyway this cami top is a bit more interesting despite being very muh a basic due to the contrasting bands ad of course its going to be very useful.

 I usually lengthen RP patterns, but did not see any edits on where to add length or shorten so despite being 5 foot 7 inches (170cm) tall I went with the pattern as it is. 

After all this is my muslin. 

The final length of my top worked out fine despite my not doing this usual alteration so I will not need to change anything.


Inside is overlocked down side seams and then I overlocked the binding and twin needled it down to finish. A very easy make really. I have been on the look out for a very basic cami pattern like this one for a while. I have several Burda magazine camis but they are all more "interesting" when really I want a very (boring) basic top that will go with just about all my clothing. Thats exactly what this pattern is and I expect to make loads of these.







So all in all a pretty ordinary pattern but despite that a very useful basic cami top. I would definitely recommend this pattern if you are after a cami top.

Also something I have noticed about Rebecca Page patterns which is really good. With every pattern I have made so far the pattern pieces match perfectly. Of course its what we all expect, but there are so very many patterns that the pieces do not match up at all, so you end up having to guess. Even the notches are often out. RP patterns seem to work perfectly.

Have a lovely day and stay safe
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment