Thursday 4 February 2021

Striped top

Another scrap top though this one managed to be made all from one fabric making it more "normal" in my cutting out. Again it has cleared loads of bits of fabric from my stash. 
I actually had to cut every piece separately because I did not have enough fabric to be able to fold and cut for example both sleeves at once.

The neck is an experiment. I wanted to do a tie neck. I have since found on various RTW clothes that often this is done as two pieces. None the less this has worked even though I made it as one piece. I sewed each end of the tie bits then sewed this to the neck with my overlocker. I am not at all sure if it is a normal way to do this kind of neck but it works so thats OK for me. Again this is the TNT pattern Butterick 5562 View D without the extra neck part.

Also, slightly sadly the stripe is not symetric - so it has two sides or directions. I do not think really you can notice, unless I tell you, but one sleeve is the opposite direction to the other. 

I did not realise straight away when I cut it out but noticed while sewing it up.  Though at least I managed to keep all bits on the straight grain.

You can see this in the photo above - the black is on top on the Right sleeve (as you look at this) but on the bottom on the left sleeve.

I reckon its very wearable. I had to make a decision to either have different fabric sleeves or to go the opposite way with one sleeve. I think it looks Ok despite this. I doubt most people will ever notice. Sometimes you have to just either not make something or go with this kind of thing. I have after all made this kind of mistake before, by accident, and not realised for months. 

I have worn this for 3 times now including twice for work. Its a good top and was well worth my saving bits of fabric to make this. I have a small bit of this left but its only about enough for half a pair of knickers. Thats something for the future I think.

And its yet another small bag of scraps gone from my stash. I feel I am at least making the most of the small bits I saved. Its probably time to move back to actually making from new fabric now and to making / stashing the small useful-for-something stashed bits again for a while now, because, believe me, all the creativness with scraps is environmentally very good but it is also very time consuming.

Stay safe

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment