Wednesday 17 February 2021

Yet another top from scraps


This is my latest top made from stashed bits of fabric. I was intending to stop this with my striped top but then realised I could just get another top from the scraps used here.


The first top worked out very well but I think this one is even better. 

My first scraps top

This is another Butterick 5562.

This top really is a mixture of fabrics and has scuba back and sleeves ( reversed so its flat not crepe) but I did not have enough for full length sleeves so added a ribbed band to make them longer.

The bottom band is made from a different type of ribbing but they seem to work ok together. I did not have enough of either type of ribbed fabric for all three bits.


The front is a layer of a lacey ladder mesh which I made two self drafted tops from previously. This is not the best quality photo but you can see one of them here:

 

I really loved these tops. They are made in exactly the same way as my original navy self drafted tops

I made two of these back in 2015/2016. I think they only ever show up on the blog for Me Made May. I have never actually got round to telling the world about them, but they have been a huge success in my wardrobe for many years. They are pretty worn out now. I did not have enough fabric to make another of these. I have kept the small offcut though for far too long so its time to make use of it.

 

This is lined with a layer of powermesh. Its a heavy powermesh used for this skirt 

 

so is not too transparent and makes the top warm but lightweight. The two layers together mean its opaque despite being made from two fabrics that are mesh. I sewed the two layers together with a straight stitch to baste them and stop the two layers moving around because the powermesh seemed to make this very slippy,  before overlocking it all together. I also used a walking foot to do this.

 

This is a bit more delicate than the previous top but again its a really good way to remove large quanitites of small pieces of "useful" fabric scraps from my stash and bearing in mind I got rid of a whole black bin liner that was full of scraps as a result of these 3 tops it was well worth the effort. It did mean quite a while working out exactly what I can get from the bits I have left but its still worth it because really these tops cost me nothing but time. 

You do need some patience though, because I spent quite along time working out what I can make from what, and how things can work together,  but if like me you collect scraps of fabric this is a really good way to delete some of it and get some useful new tops which to be fair I would not have thought of constructing like this had I not had bits of different fabrics to play with, and they do make for some more interesting tops from a basic and quite boring T shirt pattern. I also managed to decide that the rest of the small scraps which tend to be still atached to the larger bits I made use of can go to the tip because really I am unlikely to find a use for bits as small as these. Though I did have to be very strong about this because I own but so far have not used the Florence bra patterna nd can use small pieces of fabric for that but I was strong because I still have even more scraps to get rid of so can find a fabric to use for that I think. Its so hard isn't it to be strong and throw it all away!

But I now have space to put the new fabric I just bought on my shelves - even though I am not meant to be adding to the stash!

Take care

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment