Sunday 11 July 2021

Leopard print RaRa skirt


I have had my eye on this Burda pattern for ages. Its 129;06/2014 and has a shirring elastic ruched basque. Thats what scared me really but a blogger ( sorry I do not remember who) writes a few years back she found it easy to do which inspired me. Then I had to wait till I got the right fabric. This is not quite the same as the Burda version because I had scraps of fabric to use up left over from a different project so was constrained by what I had available and the weird shapes of the bits of fabric as well. So Burda had a basque thats almost twice as long ( Burda double it, I couldnt do that)  with three ruffles and I have just the two ruffles so the only thing thats actually the right measurements on this the the main skirt pieces that you sew the frills to!

 

Despite that its definitely inspired by the Burda version.

Using the shirring is very easy, unless like me you have arthritus in the hands. Then its pure hell and this small amount took me three sittings over 5 days, having a rest between each day to recover the use of my hands. I actually sewed more rows than Burda and I did not pull it in which they suggest. It gathered enough not to need the elastic I added at the edge anyway. 

If you are young and / or do not have arthritus this is a great way to make a skirt, though I am usually someone who avoids this style when buying RTW cos the elastic always fails and the skirt does not last very long next to one with a fitted basque. For the scraps I have though, for this summer, I am very happy with it.

Its edged with a cheap stretch elastic. I used a walking foot and was very careful not to stretch it because obviously being a non-stretch woven stretch lace is not really ideal but its what was available and it works well enough I think.

.

 There is some narrow elastic right along the top edge as well to stop the "frilly" edge you get from shirring. Thats just my choice rather than Burd's suggestion - though to be perfectly honest I found the instructions so confusing I just ad-libbed. 

Fabric is a silky woven viscose so very frayey and light weight but is ideal for summer. Its slippy to sew and I made the frills very uneven but it doesn't seem to show so I think probably I am the only person who will realise that. 

All in all I really do like this skirt.

 I very much enjoyed wearing this anyway😊

Have a lovely day and thanks for popping round

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment