Sunday 4 July 2021

1996 Burda Style skirt

 I really wanted to recreate a look from my 1997  summer holiday clothes when I was still "young".

Despite my age I decided I can still wear this style and its the perfect holiday outfit when its nice weather.

 

I searched for weeks in all my hundred-odd ( I kid you not!) Burda Mags to find this pattern which is a very simple A line mini, and its this style that what I wanted to recreate. Despite owning so many patterns its a surprise to find the one thing I want is really hard to find. Possibly because its so simple you could easily self draft?

But I really wanted an accurate fast and easy pattern I can use and be reasonably sure it will work not one of my experiments because I had very little of this fabric and may not be able to get more and not every experiment works lets face it - thats despite not wanting to cock this up and waste time.

I also have hundreds of free patterns from all over the internet but it ended up that the only one thats the right style is a Burda girls pattern from 1996.

 

Though I bought my outfit which I have copied in the summer of 1997 from New Look in Newquay, Burda Style have it in the January edition of the previous year. It was a common look then though. Its style 133/ 01/1996  .


 

I already recreated the halter neck top a few weeks ago so now here I also have my matching skirt. I think I am getting into matching separates! You can read about that one half way through my #MMM21 post here:

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2021/06/mmm21-22nd-may-to-31st-may-and-holiday.html

This is not at all pattern matched because I had a metre for the entire outfit so it just had to be made from what there is available which I have to say is really far more environmentally friendly that wasting loads of fabric to make it all pattern patch though in this case its a shame because it would be a very easy print to get to match up. Still maybe next time if I manage to get something similar in this kind of fabric.


I was in my early 30's when I wore the original of this design, so not a kid and this fashion was, in 1996 -1997, an adult look as well as child's!

In the Burda magazine though it is in child sizes - though they are really teen sizes so nearly adult though not as big a range as normal women sized patterns. This though would be an easy one to grade up.



Burda show this in satin which was a common look in the 90s but I had a T shirt jersey skirt to match my halter neck. And a few more photos this time with Roger the dog.

This whole outfit is actually scuba so ideal for camping because its a quick dry fabric and very lightweight. Burda make it with a side zip. I just used elastic because thats what my 90s version had. Perfect! The girls sizes actually go bigger than me too so I will have to start looking more at the childrens section. Kids clothes tend to be less fussy and more fun I find. More my style. Its practical and easy to wear.

The pictures are taken by St Piran's Cross. This is in the sand dunes of the Quarry fields near Crantock in Cornwall.  Unfortunately the photographer was not at his best that day so here is an old photo of the cross from the last time we visited it.

We went there years ago as is seen by the date on this photo, and we have looked for the monument/ relic every year since, but never found it. Its my now long dead lovely Ronnie dog's head you can see there. If I had not already take a photo of this relic I would have doubted my own memory of ever finding it at all, because there is also a modern cross there and thats all we have found since - till this week. The modern one is a War Memorial cross there thats easy to find but this ancient relic is more hidden, but this is the original photo from 2006 so I had proof we did really find this place even though it has eluded us ever since then.

Possibly we could not find it because of the shifting sand dunes? I cannot see any other reason for it. This time we also found the ruined church and St Piran's Oratory as well so a bonus. I never noticed them previously but you can see the church ruins in the background of this old photo. We found them by accident this year as well.  This year you can see St Piran's Cross from accross the dunes if you happen to be in the area so its easy to find it!

Have a good week

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment