Friday 13 August 2021

An accidentally gothic top

 

I love this though it turned out far less wearable for every day than I intended. It was originally meant to be an every day work top. 

 

I made it from cheap poly cotton ( I think!) black broderie anglais. I used the white fabric that I bought at the same time for a frilly 80s top.

 

This being black I wanted to make into a work top because white as it turns out is not me. I never wear the other top - so far!

And importantly right now I really really need some tops I can wear in the office since we are back one day a week and my home working clothes are not really apropriate.


It was supposed to be a basic Carmen style gypsy top. Similar to this one. I used the same costume pattern but instead of rolled edges and ribbon covered channels I decided to use the cotton lace I bought ages ago. I have 25m of this stuff and have never found a use for it.

Despite the fabric is cheap I decided to go for it and use the lace anyway. Its stupid because I have been so "precious" about this lace that it never gets used for anything. So I just sewed loads on everywhere. And it turns my cheapo fabric top into something very special. Or so I feel.

I added a row of lace around the waist as well and used it tp thread a ribbon pullcord through to make a tie waist. I remember a top like this I had in the 70s when I was a child.

 

 This is not a work top. 

Never mind!

I actually feel this was a big success and I am sure many sewers accidentally make something far more beautiful than originally intended. Its not a problem but does deprive me of a new work top. 

Has this sort of thing happened to you?

Still much better to make something great by accident than make mess of something, which I must admit to having done quite a few times especially at the start of this sewing adventure I find my self on.

Have a lovely weekend and thanks for popping by the blog.

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment