Friday 27 August 2021

Strawberry Skirt inspired by The Vampires Wife

 


I have considered this kind of skirt for a couple of months. I should have sewn it sooner in fact.

They are pretty and simple to make and good in hot weather. Just a basic A line mini with frills added. I used my version of The Vampires Wife style blocks that I made for my dresses a couple of years ago to make these. In fact its reallytime I made some more because I love those dresses.

This skirt has turned out very easy to wear, comfortable and girly without being too much like a rara. Not that I have anything against a rara skirt but I did not want one with this being so floral as well.

They vision I had in my head was to have simple side zip. I used a normal lap zip since did not have an invisible zip and did not want to wait to make this once inspiration struck. I used what I had available. Its all overlocked inside to make it neat and has a basic facing of the same fabric round the waist.

The strawberry cotton fabric I bought on a whim years ago and never used. I really don't like florals so no idea why I bought this though it is sweet I suppose. I had just under 1m of this. I do not like to waste fabric and in the end decided its well over time to have used this. I think I bought it in 2014! It will rot away in the stash and never get used at this rate!

I just went all out frilly. Thats got rolled edges on top and the bottom of the top frill, and on just the bottom of the bottom frill. The top edge, of the bottom frill, is not rolled. I just sewed then I overlocked the edge to neaten it and voila! Very The Vampires Wife I think.

I am very happy with this and just wished I had made it at the start of summer rather than at the end. Still never mind. This will also work in Autumn with thick tights and a jumper, and could even be layered with the black skirt (I am planning to make next) under the strawberries as a petticoat if it gets cold. This works quite well because the black skirt is hopefully going to turn out longer so shows up underneath. More on that once I finish sewing it up!

I really need a day out now to wear this somewhere other than just down the garden.

Happy weekend!

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment