Friday 6 August 2021

Three more basic vest tops

 

This is an update / correction for the top that was too big

 

I tried the Burda vest pattern out a few weeks ago. I wondered if I had traced the wrong size. No I did not. Its just too big. In the end having considered it for a couple of weeks ( and knowing I desperately need some black vest tops), I just overlocked it smaller down each side which is not ideal being as it means I had to cut my original perfectly added bindings and get them to match but it does give me a wearable top even if imperfect.


I made this one with a nice opaque front of double thickness fabric. The back is a shiny lycra dancewear fabric used for leotards.
 
At least it will fit me now so I will wear it. 

I made a second one- this is cheap fabric but having made the disaster last time  I did a proper muslin.

This top uses an old vest that fits (though is from the 90s and cropped) and I decided to sacrifice since I now want to wear longer tops anyway and I need a top that fits me. Widthwise this is a perfect fit so I am now using this old vest top as a pattern to judge if things are likely to fit me. 

 

I used the racer back shaping of the Burda pattern combined with this top.

 I am very happy with the results of this experiment. And at least it fits!

This has only one layer of fabric for the front so its a bit see through though not totally. Or maybe revealing is the right word since its not transparent. I want to be able to wear these for actual exercise so probably without a bra under. Though this one makes me self consious being as its a bit too see-through so will in future either be underwear, sleep wear, or have a mesh top over it. Anyway it works fine from a fitting view point which is the objective of this exercise. 

Here you can see how much bigger the pattern is to my old top. Even with adding seam allowances this is far too big!


So I used the old top to work out where to adjust the pattern to see if it would fit me:

Drew new lines and still allowing a seam allowance:

With the front piece I took out some at CF

I want to keep the racer back so took the back pattern in at the side

New pattern pieces / butchered original!

Overlaying the old top onto my altered pattern to check sizes:


And it worked so I now have a pattern that fits me. It also retains a proper cut away racer back.


Next I again used the old top to make this small summer top with a scrap left over from the skirt and halter neck I made a few weeks back so this is another top for my skirt and will be really good if I ever get to go on holiday again. I live in hope! 

Next I again used the old top to make this small summer top with a scrap left over from the skirt and halter neck I made a few weeks back so this is another top for my skirt and will be really good if I ever get to go on holiday again. I live in hope! 

This top is made from just the original old top using it as a pattern so does not have quite such a cut away racer back. Its much more subtle and I shall do this again though may try to make a proper paper pattern. Otherwise I will spend ages fiddling round to get everything lined up properly every time I want to repeat it. The old top is really quite out of shape having been worn for years.

 

This has a plain black scuba back - I had only a small bit for the front of the top and also to get it out of what I did have means none of the motifs are the right way up! They go all four directions so never mind. Its OK made from scraps.

This time the back is not as racerey but is the same as my old top which came from Topshop back in 1999. I really now need to make a proper paper pattern from the old top becase I love the fit of this one.

So a few more tops for the wardrobe. I will maybe a do another couple now I have sorted the sizing out. 

Have a lovely weekend

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment