Friday 17 February 2023

Velvet loungewear with a faerie theme for 2023

Well last week I explained how I really need some new tops after clearing out all my old stuff to charity and what could I do when searching through my stash but make another of these velvet hoody cowls. For my New Years sewing plans I had on my list more loungewear in the faerie theme similar to my last year's makes that I have been so into wearing. Made of course in stretch velvet. Well really why spend your life making clothing you do not like to wear? 

Much better to make things you really like and enjoy wearing. I had intended to be sewing this sort of clothing starting straight after New Year but life just got in the way. Its been a really hectic January and no time for sewing at all so this has of course moved now to February sewing. Well thats fine.

This is a top though where the previous versions are dresses. I used the sleeves from the A symetric velvet dress - both patterns are Burda style magazine patterns so you have to trace them, but I had already done that bit last year so this is a kind of cop out in some ways. But it does use up lots of fabric from my over large stash.

This version also though has no hoody lining and a pullcord round the hem of the hood which I think makes a great addition to ring the changes. The back of this fabric is a sort of grey marl so I cannot see the point in lining. I did do that previously with some of this velvet but I really do not want to buy more fabric right now so this uses what I have stashed and does not in any way at all add to the amount of fabric I already own which buying hood lining fabric would have done because there will be offcuts to store. And anyway its a nice looking reverse so why cover it with a lining that just makes the hood weigh more?

Unfortunately the bottom hem seems to roll a bit. Probably I made it a bit too narrow? Still I can live with that.

The second  top is made from left over bits of velvet from my A-symetric dress made last year but the sleeves are actually from a different patterned velvet used in the dress above. The pattern is McCall's M6612.And its got a high low hem. This hem worked better. I have yet to work out why this worked but the pink hem rolls over. Could the high low be why it does not roll?

The cuff-mitts come from the Make your Own Activewear book by Melissa Feyr. Though as you can see one cuff lies a bit weird. Must have sewn it or cut it a bit off grain. Never mind!

I actually sewed both tops at the same time so feel I am finally getting my crafting mojo back. Its feels satisfying to have actually found the fabric - from my stash, cut it out and sewn it up and it worked!

And its been a while because I made very little in January and not a lot in December. 

 

 I do like the miss-matched velvet in this dress though so will try to salvedge more garments now from the other offcuts, especially of velvets, because I think this top is not just cozy, comfy and warm but also surprisingly stylish and I really like this idea of mixing similar types of fabric in different patterns. 

Its something I would never have bought odd fabrics to achieve but works well. Similar to the 2-Tone dress I ended up making from some 1m bits of fabric I just bought with no idea what to make from it and in the end 1m is not enough fabric to actually do much with. That dress was also a success so maybe I am currently being a bit too conservative in my approach to making garments? Just a thought anyway.

I also dyed my hair this week and I love how its looking when its half way dried:

Very Fae I think and goes well with these tops. I intend to add a darker pink at the ends but have yet to do that. Its easier to do just one colour at a time when you do it at home. This is rose gold blonde and I did this colour a few years ago and enjoyed it. I just felt I need a new look for my new wardrobe.

Have a great week and see you soon,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment