Friday 25 February 2022

A-symetric velvet dress

 

This is the first dress I made from my faery inspired fabric - as in inspired by Cassandra Clare type of Fairies rather than pretty winged creatures the size of a spec. Its part of my New Years sewing plans. I was very cold when the photos were taken so they are not very interesting I am afraid. I want to wear this though, and tend not to wear things once made nowadays till I get round to the photos.

I made this Burda Style pattern 12/2014 #121 several times previously so yes, slight cop out but I had to be sure I never destroyed this fabric. I know the shop already sold out of it so this is all I am ever likely to find.

 When I measured the old pattern I had traced - right at the start of my sewing adventure - I realised it was miles out. I mean I am amazed the old dresses fitted at all so this must be a forgiving look. I also wanted to make a smaller size this time though so I totally retraced this and started again. I chucked the old pattern as well since when something is so far out then it should not get used again.

I really really love this. I think its the nicest dress I have even made so I can't wait to get on with my next piece of faery velvet.

Unlike the black dress I made last time I added the side gathers to the velvet dress. The red dress made back in 2015, did have the side gathers. I am not sure why I missed them out last time.  

I have also now added them to my old black dress too. I actually have two identical black dresses but so far have not found the other. Its probably stored with my summer clothing so once I find that I will ruche that one too. They definitely look better with the ruching.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjlCdeFKlFYoWuNk1a__EI-TaoqWdcZV43WiGjDZIz7Tqi_FSsQmVRQ5GZA9IgXt6W4tTZMMQhzQXwJ9qyCZS4cRzztk-ziWUHyVJVMJDIaDiiO5rqqCt_XFA1VQa7vocQBUX85nM7MiahK/s400/WP_20151116_09_01_49_Pro.jpg

I also shortened this latest version. I think its much more me!



This fabric cost me only £11 for the two metres I bought. I have a small bit left but since I have other prints in the same velvet fabric I am waiting till I have a few more offcuts and maybe I reckon do a mixed printed dress or top from all of the bits together.

So this is my first dress, or garment even, for my Faery project which I was planning as part of the 2022 New Year sewing plans so I can tick this one off my list!

I actually feel like I have made a very slow start to my sewing this year and not really done much as yet. Not sure why. Maybe the break I had to take during Christmas - so the table is available for lunches etc! - lost me my sewing mojo?

So how are you getting along now with this years sewing/ crafting? 

Bracken

2 comments:

  1. I love the faeries of Cassandra Clare, Holly Black and Katherine Harbour! This is a really quirky dress that a faery might wear! And I look forward to the mixed pattern top eventually! I love velvet but I live in coastal Australia so it's really unwearable most of the year unless you don't mind getting really hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, Well to be honest I wish I had such lovely warm weather. I suppose though you could wear more floaty summery dresses. I have not read Holly Black and Katherine Harbour but thank you. I will investigate. I only discovered Cassandra Clare recently and read them in the wrong order. Or I am half way through the first series having already read the Dark Artifices so unfortunately reading them back to front. Though I will reread once I get to them in the correct order. But yes I found the faeries very inspiring and just what I need to make me sew again when I was getting a bit lacking in motivation.

    ReplyDelete