Thursday 16 November 2023

Christmas and More Baby tracksuits

 I made another two baby outfits. 

These were sewn very fast due to my having to send my new overlocker back to Brother to see why the needle threader does not work. I even considered just putting up with it but since I chose that model for ease of threading my other half has convinced me to get it fixed. I think it must just be an adjustment but they say you cannot adjust so I have to wait and see what is actually wrong or is it in fact just me? 

I do hope not. But I need reading glasses these days and it does mean I find it much faster to have a machine that will thread itself rather than do it manually, so if at all possible I do want the thing to work. So anyway unless I fiddle around with my old Janome I cannot currently do any overlocking. Of course this weekend I am fiddling with my Janome because life without sewing just seems silly. I do not actually sew all the time of course but I need the ability should I feel I want to. Not being able is so frustrating. I know the Janome needs a new blade but I bought one for it already so just need to change it and I should be back in business if I feel the desire to sew something.

So then as well as having to send back my new overlocker, I also crashed my car and wrecked a wheel. This van driver was tail-gating me and making me so nervous. Not sure why really because it happens all the while but then there was an ambulance with its lights flashing trying to get past and I went up a kerb that was too high for my wheels to let the ambulance through ona  narrow road and I got a puncture, damaged the wheel rim really badly and I had to get a new tyre. Now I am just waiting to see if the new tyre actually stays up. I am slightly scared of going on a motorway in case I break down but will have to brave that soon really before I need to go somewhere and get there on time.

So anyway.........tracksuits.........

The first tracksuit is in french terry and is bright colours with dinosaurs. This is the Made By Oranges "Jacob hoody" with the free pattern for comfey trousers ( "Comfies") from Sparkle and Roar. 

I do like that Comfies trouser pattern especially since I also used a BTrendy pattern for the skeleton dino trousers and I prefer the free one if I am being honest here. 

 

Again this Skeleton Dino suit which is a Tshirt weight fabric is with the Jacob hoody. Now thats a great little pattern. The trousers here have a gusset which the confies don't. That makes for a slightly trickier sew but it all went together ok despite that.

 

One of the big advantages of the free Comfies pattern is these very long turn back cuffs which effectively allow the child to wear them over an extra size range. 

Of course this is such a simple idea it could be applied to any trouser pattern so I will probably add a band to most other patterns in the future - including the Btrendy pattern shown here. Also with something like the Made by Oranges pattern you could actually add the band later and that will allow longer wearing of the hand made clothing - love that idea! 

Had a slight problem with my twin needle tension on the zigzag side. The top looks fine ( or at least it passes!) but the underneath is not. Its not seen but if this was an adult garment it would be far more of a problem. The child this is for will probably outgrow it before my stitching gives so I am not too worried. Might be time to service my sewing machine though.


I really like Jacob and expect to be making it for one child or another until I run out of sizes to make it.





Skeletons:


I also cut a third set in actual Christmas fabric but did not have time to sew this one up. Might do it on the Janome if I have time because I do not want to end up sewing this after Christmas or it defeats the object and the thing with children is next year it will not fit. I can shelve my own unfinished garments as UFO's but if I do that with this one it will just become scrap and the fabric was not really expensive at £8.95 /m but I prefer not to waste that.


Thanks for visiting my blog and hope you have a great week.

Take care

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment