Sunday 19 November 2023

Faery hoody cowl dress revisited


Its so far rained for the last two weeks and I have just not managed to get any better photos of this so this is what I have to work with. These are not the best photos but its chucking it down with really heavy rain outside so I will go with what I have here until I can get better. According to the weather forecast I just looked up we can expect around another 2 weeks of rain in the UK Midlands where I live at the moment. Wonderful British weather!

It really makes you think when my neighbours and familly say "do not move to Scotland because it rains all the time". Really? That much more than here? It was raining here the last twice I was in Scotland and not there.  They do have colder winters but I actually prefer snow to rain. Constant rain!

Anyway:

 

 I made a new version of a much loved but totally impractical hoody cowl dress.

It looks bigger than the last version - or at least I have lost a bit of weight and I made the same size - well despite that I will probably put the weight back on and its still comfey and this is for me to live in rather than just wear occassionally, because the other one annoys me so much. I do want to be able to wear this next January, when I am likely to have gone back to my normal weight - Christmas eating etc. I still do not have a clue how I came to lose weight either but it seems there is nothing wrong with me and doc says maybe I have just become more active. Maybe. I do not do an office job now so that could actually be it.

 

I really like the original which has a high low hem and flared sleeves:

 

but it just does not work for real life, and rather than wreck what is a nice going out dress, by attempting to alter it, I decided to just use up the rest of my watercolour velvet fabric and make a new and more practical version.

The original has lovely flared sleeves and is really very pretty but the sleeves are totally stupid when you want to do things like washing up dishes or hoovering or mopping the floor. Annoying!

This new version has practical fitted sleeves taken from a different dress pattern so yes its a pattern hack really.

 So this is it:

The hem on this new version is curved at front and back like a shirt style hemline rather than the high low of the original version:

Its a nice variation especially now its so cold.

The hood is lined with an expensive powermesh that I had in the stash and never used. I did consider sourcing something cheaper but as it turns out its brilliant and will be much less subject to "pulls" than the lace on the other version so I may use powermesh again on a similar design despite the cost.

And it really is practical because I have worn this dress several times already and it does not annoy me. I ideally would have got round to blogging about itbefore this but due to the weather and not gettig any decent photos I have wiated until now. In the end it could carry on raining for months. I intend to get some better ones once it stops raining and will then update the blog. Photos are so much better out in nature I find but this dress has turned out to be a really good, sensible, yet glamourous, velvet fae inspired dress, and I will make more like it I suspect, despite I have a wardrobe full of similar designs because when you do love something ..............

I still have not got my (new) Brother overlocker back or any news on when I will, so had to make this on my old Janome. Still it works. Its seriously hassle to thread after the Brother but even then oh so easy to change the needles! I am now definitely thinking I prefer my Janome to the Brother. And still no news on when I get the thing back!

After all you chage needles far more than rethreading the entire machine. Ah well I am stuck with it now for a few years I would expect because the Janome requires fixing so often really its worn out. I just need the thing back. They said 7-10 days but its over that already. Not very impressed with Brother I have to say.

Thanks for visiting my blog and I will be back next week with hopefully some better photos and something interesting to tell you about.

See you soon,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment