Thursday 25 July 2024

A very work worthy dress

My intention was to declutter and recycle unused and old clothing and sort out my sewing area as well as my wardrobe when I rediscovered this dress.

I made loads of these types of dresses back in 2019. I left this one in bits in a freezer bag cut out but mainly unsewn until I was clearing out my sewing area a few weeks back and found it. I do love when you come accross these UFOs and actually still want to wear them. More often that not I really wonder what possessed me to even cut them out, but this is a good one, or will be once the weather cools off a bit. Today its 25 degrees C. Anyway for now this will have to remain unworn in my wardrobe. 
 
But for winter this is the perfect smart work dress so I am unable to explain why I never got round to making this one. It will though give me a slight head start on planning for this winter. Since the last two winters in the UK have been mild, I would suspect we will this year get snow and lots of ice. But then who knows. Its the UK. It mostly rains and we actually had a whole generation of drivers back in the mid 2000s who had never seen or driven in snow since we went for I believe over 10 years with none - at least in England anyway. I think Scotland still got snow. How sad to grow up to adulthood without any snow!
This just shouts office to me!

So a work dress this is going to be. For the colder weather though.


Back to the dress:
 It was made from left over scraps so a real stash buster yet for some reason ended up left and forgotten. 
The waist is  a cross shape and for this I cut a half a cross of faux suede with a half  cross of faux leather. You get a matt vs sheen contrast. The skirt and top are both scuba.
Being scuba its too warm for summer but now I have rediscovered this its staying and will be the start of my autumn / winter look for 2024. 
Now this has slightly spurred me on to finish my capecoat which has kind of got stuck in my sewng area and since this is now in sun ( being based in a hot conservatory) its liable to end up fading. Its waiting for lots of hand sewing to finish it. It will though give me a nice new winter coat for 2024/5 so I intend to get this one finished and after that to concentrate on what else will be finish-able from my pile of UFOs which will work for winter. Why cut more when you have loads of half finished stuff that is suitable.

I am also working on some twisty summer dresses but more on that once I get them to work.
Thanks for popping by and see you next week
Bracken
 

No comments:

Post a Comment