Tuesday 2 July 2024

Grey flares with a brocaide trim

 

Right now in Kilsby its a very dull, damp, though not rainy day. Its the middle of summer in the UK but you really would not know. Its certainly not warm!

So I am making transition clothing. I bought this fabric which was described online as stretch denim. I received it and decided the reverse which is duller and grey is better so was then going to use it for work clothing but am currently making summer clothing which I hope will be ok to transition into autumn. 


So I am using what I think is probably the reverse of the fabric. The other side is a shiny black denim. I bought "Black stretch Denim". However its trimed with a different fabric which is the same kind of weight and actually extremely similar though its a brocaide. I used the selvedge edge of the brocaide which has a machine made frayed edge so very useful for a Hippy kind of frayed trim.


The brocaide was sold to me as Bengaline. I am really not sure exactly what that is. I am especially confused by the name as well after buying a second piece of stretch fabric called Bengaline which appears to be a shiny cotton mix of stretch denim similar to the stuff I was sold as denim and have used for these trousers. 


Still it really does not matter that much. I am making a second pair of the same pattern trousers from the brocaide as well because its a lovely fabric. I decided to use the patterned fabric to trim these to stop them having that "school uniform" look. They do look a little that way without it but right now I have accumulated so much grey fabric I am targetting that in my makes. 

So far as well it seems to be giving me a very wearable wardrobe that everything can work together in a mix and match way and thats a really nice way to live because getting dressed when you are in a hurry to get to work ( or anywhere) is so much easier if you can grab this or that top and bottom and you do not end up having to empty the wardrobe to find X top because its all you can wear with X trousers. Have to say I am loving my new grey look. I just need a bit more magik I think so it slightly more Fae/ goth look and I will be happy. The brocaide though makes me feel very happy with what is otherwise a pair of ordinary trousers. Me made though. And so easy to wear!

Anyway despite the fabric is intended for work I decided I would like it as a basic but "decorated" pair of flares. Its a very stretchy fabric really but is woven not jersey. I was not really sure this would work out if I am honest, but went ahead anyway. One of those adventurous sewing moments I suppose!

 


Anyway the stretch woven fabric used with a jersey pattern worked well though the trousers did need a yoke to raise the front and back waist but I will remember that for next time and just cut them higher if I use this pattern again. I suspect I will because the fit is great and I love these and so far have worn them four times in two weeks. 


Because the patterned trim is relaively subtle I reckon I can also wear these for dress down Fridays at work. I would not wear when I have an important meeting to attend at work but they are still work worthy. Right now though I am on holiday anyway so I do not have to think of work and I have been enjoying them very much.

And these were made using the free yoga pants pattern from Naptime patterns. I have made them loads of times before. They are high on my TNT pattern list of favourite patterns as well. Until now though I have stuck with jersey to make them but they do work in woven if you add a rectangle for the yoke and then add elastic at the natural waist. Otherwise you will get very low waisted 90s style pants. Thats fine if thats what you wanted though and will work but I wanted some normal waisted pants this time hence they needed a yoke. 

Ah they are worn with my camo pixie top.

Have a great week, 

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment