Wednesday 5 December 2018

Lindy petal in faux leather and satin backed crepe



Today I decided to have another crack at making the Lindy Petal skirt so here it is in red faux leather and black satin - its really a satin backed stretch crepe but this time I have used the satin side of the fabric.

I have previously made this in lace which worked really well and I love and also in a naff polyester crepe.

I had not then worked out that its nicer when that crepe stretch polyerster fabric is reversed as is used in most of my recent posts so that particular skirt was worn once, hated and sent to the charity shop.

The Lindy Petal skirt pattern comes free from On the Cutting Floor.
http://www.onthecuttingfloor.com/roundup-15-easy-free-skirt-patterns/

Both of these skirts sew up very fast so its a satisfying make.


This pattern has been around for ages and nearly every sewist seems to have made it at some point. As Indie patterns go I think its lovely.  And still being free is of course fantastic.

 Because the pattern is actually meant for stretch knits unless you have a seriously stretchy woven its best to stick with knits. As you can see its worked ok though with both of these fabrics!


Both of these fabrics are actually woven and this pattern is for stretch knits only.

The red faux leather is a stretch woven but this is very stretchy.  I then decided to use up some woven satin backed crepe which I used to make my fishtail skirt and that has also worked out well and will make an excellent work skirt to compliment my Winter capsule wardrobe collection. Mind you it has to now be said that my Winter Capsule Wardrobe is no longer a capsule having grown somewhat over the last few months. Its more just a new winter work wardrobe now. The red skirt is not really work worthy.




I had to add a centre back seam to the red version due to making this from the offcuts from other projects since I did not have enough to cut the back as just one piece as the pattern tells you.  ( the CB seam is meant to go on a fold so I cut onto two peices of fabric as mirror images and adding seam allowance then sewedtogether and continued as pattern directions). For both versions I omitted the waistband. Infcat so far none of my Lindy Petals have an actual waistband.


I added a a lace edge to the red skirt since I could not get the hem to lie smoothly. I had this problem with similar faux leather previously as well when I made the lace and leather T shirt  which is shown below with my black Lindy skirt. Lace does give a nice edge and works well for the waistband on this version as well. Mind you it does crease! Probably it is best not to wear with my faux leather and lace top on blog posts because I do not think the creases show so bad in daylight as they do in the photos. Or at least they annoy me less. As you can see even when just stored in the wardrobe it is always creased. I love this top but dare not iron properly hence the creases which never quite drop out. I shall dry on a hanger next wash and see if they helps at all. I am hoping the red faux leather will be less creasy but time will tell.





This version of the skirt is slightly shorter because I decided the pattern is a bit too long for me. I do not want a micro mini but I do want a definite mini if you know what I mean.
I think the satin version is so far my best Lindy and I suspect this will be very well work for both work and play because its really very "me". Though looking at the photos I now also love the red skirt!



Thanks for visiting
Bracken





No comments:

Post a Comment