Thursday 26 December 2019

One sleeve tops for layering - Burda Style 102 04/2015

 I have fancied making this one sleeved top since the Burda magazine first landed in my inbox back in April 2015. Or it probably actually arrived in March. Anyway this is 101/102 04/2015.

The top is 101 A & B: and there is also a dress version which is 102. The top is actually in two lengths because the uder top is shorter. I am not so sure thats the way for me to go though and maye two tops the same length works better for my own style. You can see the shorter version top lower down this post.






These two tops - orange and cream are in a double knit fabric which I think is good for this pattern because its not too stretchy and has lots of body, but both are slightly too big for me. I would not feel comfortable wearing either alone which of course you are meant to be able to do. I think they would just slip off and expose my boobs if worn alone. I will have to try making a smaller size next time - there will be several next times for this pattern I am sure because I am very inspired by the possibilities here.


Just think of the colour combinatons as well as plain options and each one also a seperate one shoulder top as well!


As it happens since I am after a two layered look at the moment, it being winter,  so its fine in this size and these turn out to be wearable muslins really, but next time I will be making the next size down. I am also going to make some of these with full length sleeves because I prefer my sleeves very long as in over my hands rather than three quarters like these are. Though at least these are all the same so wearable together.


You are really meant to make a shorter version of these as in the black top


 and the longer top goes over it. You should be able to also wera the black short top as a cropped top but to be honest at the age of 55 I really do not feel comfortable wearing this outside the house. I suppose maybe at pilates or on a beach but not to Sainsbury's or Aldi or the like. I am simply too old.

However, for younger women / girls this pattern has the cropped top as well, so giving various looks because why not mke two cropped tops? or lots in different colours.

The black top is in dancewear/ fitness grade fabric and seems to fit better. Maybe then its not a sizing problem but rather my fabric choice with the slightly too big orange and white tops?

I decided after making a plain black shorter top, why not just make the longer tops? I will be making more black (long) tops in the future so I can have a black two sleeved layered top but right now I just have this one short version.

It does though give me two more "looks" with my orange and cream tops.Here is my black top with the cream:






Defo a bit large I think!


Possibly this is all my own fault - the size of the tops.

A couple of days ago I wanted to look up italian sizes since it seems they are different to the EU sizing I am used to, and I own several italian sewing pattern magazines.

In the process of looking up international size charts, I realised that in fact German sizing - ie Burda - is a smaller size to eg New Look, H&M, Pimark, Next and also to French sizing which is the same as the UK versions of EU sizes so I have been making Burda size 36 when I am probably really Burda 34.

I am H&M, Next and New Look 36 - and this goes along with French sizing but not German. Its all very confusing but does expain why Burda is usually a bit big for me.

So now I know!


Its does not matter for these tops anyway. I will probably not be wearing them singly. I made because I like the multi - layered idea.  Being a little large will not matter then.

Its does explain the problems with a dress I made using this pattern though - more on that later if I ever get it to fit me!

Interesting also how my hair colour has faded over a few weeks. The orange and cream tops were photgraphed a couple of weeks ago. I did not realise how much the colour had faded until now. Of course all the tops were made prior to my operation. I still have not sewed since then but am inteding to try to see if I can control the sewing machine this week.

Wishing you well,
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment