Tuesday 31 December 2019

Short sporty sequin sided skirt

Its New Years Eve and I decided to make a short sportswear type of pull on elastic waist skirt. I used the same fabric as my trousers and added some sequin trim down the side seams as I did with them.

Unlike the trousers I made from this fabric, the skirt did not need this to hide the imperfections of my pattern matching because this worked much better. I just fancied having sequins down the sides.

And of course this means I am now back to sewing again. I can't say everything is perfect or easy to do yet but I am certainly on the mend. I suspect half the trouble is in fact due to not having been sewing for nearly 3 months, meaning I am well out of practice.

I shall put the practice part right over the next few weeks!








































I was inspired by these skirts from H&M:



I really like the college look but I do not want to buy anything that I can easily make and get something unique rather than run-of-the-mill RTW. Especially when it takes such a small amount of fabric!

So I set about finding some kind of fabric from my stash that I might like to wear as one of these types of skirt. Now my hip is done I want to be me again. No more hiding behind old lady clothes with skirts down my calves.

I can walk!

 I always, all my adult life, like either very, very long skirts or very, very short skirts. I reckon at 55 I will not wear quite so short as I used to but I can still do this sort of short so thats what I am aiming for.

By the way, how do you like my new blue dip dyed hair?

To be honest its an accident. I used dye remover to get rid of the rest of my pink and purple colour for an interview and it left me with blue ends. No idea if I got the job yet😊


Back to this skirt: I have quite a bit of scuba fabric in my stash and never found a use till the other month, when  made my flares - with the OTT sequin trim that is.  I made them before my op. Now I am managing to sew at last so I am thinking why not also a short skirt?

This time I actually managed to almost pattern match too so just added the side stripes for the hell of it if I am honest. And why not. I buy all these trims when I see them but never seem to use them. Well now its time to make the best of life, the most of life, and live what is left to me properly.


And it seems at the moment that include sequins!

To hell with what others think. Its my life and if I want to wear sequins then thats how its going to be. So this skirt has happened and I reckon summer or winter this is going to be a nice little skirt with a bike jacket or a denim jacket. And importantly its meant to be an every day ( not obviously work day) skirt rather than a party skirt.


And also at time of writing its now New Year's Eve and of course this adds a little bit of glitter and sparkle for the party season so very apt for now clothing. I do expect to still wear this skirt come the warmer weather though. I think this will transition nicely. Theres not too much sparkle - if its possible to have too much😊

This is also an enjoyable venture into copying RTW clothing and I have a new skirt from the same pattern as my fluorescent green summer skirt:
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/09/my-first-attempt-at-v-neck-t-shirt.html
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/09/my-first-attempt-at-v-neck-t-shirt.html

Except this one is about 4 inches shorter than the green skirt which I need to chop before I wear it again I think. Just look at the wavy hem as well! I actually wore that.

This is certainly more me!



And no wavy hem tho' thats partly down to fabric choice I think.



The red top is a sportwear pattern and made here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/10/view-b-mccalls-m7261-sportswear-pattern.html

Thats a very successful make because I wear it loads. I really should make a few more of these.




I reckon now I am back sewing I should make a camo version of this as well. 

I love the camo version on the H&M site and have some camo fabric left over from my dress and track pants but had no more time today to get that one sorted.



So, as well as getting back into sewing, I am now starting my New Year's resolution list for my next years sewing.

I am not sure if I managed to make all of 2019's intended makes. I will have to have a look back once 2020 is upon us and see what I did or did not achieve.

Also, what else do I need to put on the 2020 to-make's list?

I am sure I can think of several items straight away having been sitting unable to sew and just dreaming for the last loads-of-weeks. I will post the list once I know what is on it, as much for me to keep track of, and look back at, as for the world to read.

Happy New Year to you all........
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment