Wednesday 25 December 2019

Gold Christmas Top



Finally I have sewn something and here is my Christmas top. Normally I would say very badly made but bearing in mind its my first sewn item since 16th October I am very happy.


I sewed with my left leg not the normal right (operated leg) cos I seemed to have more control. Interesting! You would expect the leg below hip to work normally. It does not quite as yet.


I had a very wavy seam on one side of this top where really there is a bit about 1cm deep missing from one seam where I wobbled because its the first time sewing using my left foot to operate the pedal etc, but never mind.



The twin needle hems were a nightmare. Everything possible went wrong including breaking an expensive twin needle, re-threading with a new needle only to immediately break the new unused needle. Note to self: order twin needles 3 packs off ebay from China, cos they take ages to come, and so far once you actually get them they are really good and about a third of UK prices, but you have to wait up to 3 months to get them! I have just one new twin needle left now.

Then, I ripped the edge of my top which luckily you cannot see, when the needle decided to tangle the thread. Normally my Brother is always perfectly set up for twin needle sewing. I use the Janome which is newer by about 30 years for everything else and leave the Brother set up. It just works fantastically tho does seem a bit wasteful sometimes. The Janome does not do twin needle tho. With knits I use it constantly. But I have been using the Janome for my walking foot experiments - leather skirts etc just before the op, so I have yet to put it back to normal so seemed easier to use my Brother to start sewing. I did not begin by using knits but tried sewing up a summer dress. This proved too much so I agve up but had changed the settings on my machine. When I came to do twin needle sticthing I am used to it just working. Well, it needed a few adjustments which I never expected. Ah well, you cannot always have successes and in the end this is wearable so not a total failure.

I do feel Christmasey!



The very forgiving fabric does not show the problem and the lace covers the missing bit from my seam wobble, and with the very last bit of my lace now used its the end of an era and a look.

I seemed to have a never ending stash of black stretch lace but its finally run out. I will have to start watching out for a bagain. It does look good at wrists and neckline on this top tho.

Thats a Christmas top if ever I saw one. I never had enough to do the hem but reckon never mind. If I found this in a shop I would love it.

At least for me it also means now I am sewing again so am defo getting better.

Fabric stretch gold stuff (no idea of fibre content) made previously

into leggings
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/12/gold-leggings-inspired-by-tom-ford-rtw.html

and dress
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/12/gold-dress-for-christmas.html

and its McCalls M6612
 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg2YdgSF7WZgu0d0aoF12Gzeo4nfGB49LtnbMhE-Q7sUWocPLYRMXs0CpJoKHLw13uLhrhh804G_1n7vehtoEJX_AqB_hagCWC7MKrA6hA42gSiGhEZuI6-5CqBLJp7ukOd2OopgsH-X8Tb/s640/WP_20181104_08_53_07_Pro.jpg

I reckon despite the deformed seam its very OK as a new Christmas top and its always nice for something new to wear to the party. Now I have vacate the table for Christmas day.
Have a wonderful Christmas
Luv
Bracken
XX

No comments:

Post a Comment