Monday 30 March 2020

Bixa top

 This is the first attempt at the Bixa T shirt top from Mood. Its a free pattern.
What actually caused this pattern is I went window shopping/ investigating current high street trends in New Look. I was struck by the large number of T shirt type tops with lace and net sleeves including double layered tops like the Bixa pattern which I downloaded a year ago or so.

I like Mood free patterns because so far they have all worked without problems which is pretty impressive for free patterns. They also have some very interesting designs. This is one of them.

This top is cropped so as you can see its a bit short. I am wearing it with high waisted jeans from 1997 and a long vest top under the Bixa. The jeans are flares so very on trend despite their age. You cannot see that with me wearing wellies!
I had them saved at the back of the wardrobe for years because I just could not part with them. Anyway recently they are my favourite jeans again.
This Bixa is my test version. so I left the original length, and the double top and bottom sleeve, as well as adding the overlay. Bearing in mind this is made from scraps I think its pretty good. The top is crepe scuba ( reversed to make a plain surface rather than crepe). Top sleeve is also crepe (reversed) but the under sleeve is ribbed cotton mix with the overlay of polyester tulle. I am not a great fan of the short/long sleeve look but I do like the overlay. Having said that its completely impractical as a top. It would make a good wedding party look though.

Other problems:
Its cream (for me not the best colour when I am looking after hens and dogs but could be OK for work I suppose), the overlay is tulle so very weak and not hardwearing at all and the dog claws get caught in it. So far I have managed not to get it ripped but I keep changing into different tops because they keep jumping up.
 
 


Despite its not at all practical yes I do like this top. I am intending to make a second version with a longer body length and make the mesh sleeves without the top sleeve sections so really by sticking the two sleeve parts together and then extending the overlay.  Thats whats in fashion not the double sleeve look. I will let you know if this idea works.

 

 As a RTW copy I think its a good pattern for the current trends though will need a bit of tweaking but I will do that with version 2.


Hopefully I can show you that next week,
Thanks for popping over
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment