Friday 13 March 2020

Micks blue hoody version 2



I already made one of these but it was really a disaster and a waste of fabric. I do not think I ever blogged about it but I did an identical red version which I did blog about.

Here are the previous versions:
Navy crew neck and paisley and Red and navy mesh



Mick was very nice about these tops and has never dissed them. He always encourages me. He actually wears the navy mesh under a Tshirt when its cold and he does wear the paisley version despite it being very short. Not a complete disaster then. But not really good enough.

In fact I have previously made at least 4 tops using this pattern if I include the blue version which is the same as this top.

I tried different sizes and came to the conclusion it was not the width that is wrong, but the length. For the red one I finally sussed the problem out for certain, by adding a band on the bottom. It still did not work though due to the curved hem. So in order to sort this out permanently, I have now added about 4cm into the middle of the pattern, at the marks to lengthen it. It did give me an idea of how much longer it needed to be. Needless to say this red and navy version went into Mick's wardrobe and has never been worn. I have now retrieved and added to my stash because I can cut it down and make a Tshirt for me sometime when I have the inclination.

The fabric is the same navy mesh type of fabric used in the navy crew neck and the sides of the red and navy tops. I also made a dress from this fabric and a top for me so its versatile and very sportwear-ish. The lighter sky blue fabric was sold to me as "football shirt fabric". Its got a kind of texture on one side. I actually also popped into the local football team shop for research for this top because although I do not want it to look anything like a team shirt, it does help to have an idea how a team shirt is constructed so I get an authentic sportswear look.

 

This time I finally got it right because it fits Mick well in length and width. I am happy with it and I felt when he wore it to go shopping he wore it because it was a nice top and not just because I made it. It was worth the risk of cutting the pattern pieces and lengthening. I was worried to be cutting my original pattern up. Probably I should have traced it really but I didn't. I changed the actual original pattern. Its McCalls M6614.

 Heres the rest of the photos:


Now though I have the right size I can get to making Mick a few more tops because he really needs some new T shirts right now.

More about this when I get them done but its my current main aim sewing-wise to get a better wardrobe for my other half, because we have little spare cash, I have all this stashed fabric and thats what he needs.

Just hope I can come up with some versions he will actually wear. Though he said he really likes this top so at least the first one is a success.


See you next week - hopefully with some more tops for Mick.
have a lovely weekend
Bracken












No comments:

Post a Comment