Friday 27 March 2020

The slightly wonky multi media T shirt top



As promised here is another of the T shirts I have made for Mick. This is McCalls M6614. This version is not quite as successful as the rest, although he did wear it yesterday. Mick's comments on this are that: Its OK as a lounge top but he is not sure about wearing it outside the house!

He did not see the mistake or problem though.

 He was unsure about the patterned fabric.

 
I did check before making but I think he does not visualise what things will look like after construction. I know this already from decorating the house. he cannot "see" what a roomwilllook like with this wallpaper or those curtains. Where as the fabric alone was OK to him, when made up it is a bit much for his taste I think.

This is made from 4 different fabrics which are all scraps from other projects. Its got a very 90s feel I think. There were many similar tops around then. My aim was to make 6 new tops for Mick because thats going to easily get him through the spring. This was the last one made although I have yet to get photos of some of the other versions so I am not blogging about them in the order I made them.

The navy fabric used on the sleeves and back sidepanels is a solid mesh which seems to be found on a lot of footwhich I used for several other projects:
Mick's blue hoody, my dress and my navy top
Blue Hoody and Mesh dress












Hoody Cowl dress


The black ribbed fabric which is on the front panel was used for a top for me and another top for Mick I think this is a cotton/acrylic/lycra mix. Its quite heavy weight. The black on the back is a very high quality synthetic performance fabric used for Micks red hoody.I have yet to get photos of this one.
The patterned fabric was used for my hoody cowl dress and a top I made for  Christmas work party.





There is a real error with this top. It did not at all sew up right. I think its because to squeeze it out of my bits of fabric the back panel is cut at an angle and not on straight grain.

 
It had more effect on the finished article than I expected. Normally, I just follow the grain lines without even questioning why I do this. Well this is why they are there I suppose. The back did not quite match with the back sides and ended up kind of skewed. So then I hacked it off in line with the other side of the back side that worked but made it very wavy accross the back and shorter than the front. The back now has a straight back and there is a curved hem on the front. Not the end of the world but not really good.

I added a strip to the centre of the hood because I did not have any bits large enough. Mick liked that especially though. I will do this one again because its a very easy and nice design feature. The hood is an XXL whereas the rest is just a Large size. It means the hood is not small as most because he hates that but the strip I added makes it even bigger than usual so in the end its a bit larger than the other tops I have made from this pattern. Its his kind of top tho because of this.




As Mick said, its a good lounge top and he apparently loves the hood but he will not be wearing it in public without another top over it. Its not a good example of my normal standard of sewing. I suppose though its still good experience because despite the problem with the back I have learned when making this so will hopefully not make this mistake again. And in the end its made from the left overs I was going to throw away.

I will show you rest of these tops when I get the photos of them...............

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment