Saturday 11 June 2022

Navy Burda Sun Top

 

This top is made from scraps left over from the Navy Steampunk Skirt so they go well together. So its made from very stretchy "denim" type of fabric. The pattern says to use sweatshirting or poplin depending on which view you make and you can also make a very cute dress from this top pattern which I have yet to try. It also says to add a side zip which I decided I do not need. With a more solid/ less stretchy fabric I would need to add one though but I was trying to keep it all as simple as possible for my first version of this top.
Rather than hem this I just overlocked all edges and added stretch lace.
This is not the best made top but its ok for a muslin. The front panels are very inexpertly sewn but probably you cannot see on these photos but believe me its not quite right. There is a bad pucker on one of the front panels. Its very tricky maneuvering the different pieces into position to sew it together. Now I understand how it goes together the next version will be much easier to sew.

 The pattern is Burda Style 114,06/2016. Its a bustier but with unusual construction. I actually traced this years ago but never made it and lost half the pieces so had to retrace some of this to make it. I have actually had this on my to-make list since I received the magazine through my letterbox back in 2016.

I found it quite confusing how the pieces go together and needed to use the never-very-easy-to-understand Burda instructions. Usually I avoid Burda instructions if at all possible but this time I did have to interpret them. 

Its one of Burda's more interesting designs in the construction though. It will be much easier sewing it together second time around anyway though I may just stick the bottom bits of fabric together next time and cut as one piece because its pointless having so many joins on the bottom band - although this does allow for making from offcuts! Or a bit of colour blocking.

Its actually also a very omfortable sun top so I defitinely want more of these but will wait until I have enough offcuts and make two or three at once I think. That will make the sewing up easier because I can just repeat for each step and not have to keep deciphering Burda's bad translations of directions.

Ah also I am wearing my sun sandals today because its not wet and I need to wear them in order to know where to add some soles. They seem to go well with this skirt.

Take care and have a lovely weekend

Bracken

 

2 comments:

  1. It looks lovely but complex! My partner's grandma used to have the old Burda magazines back to the 80s and the patterns in them were wild! The patterns were all on the same sheet, outlined in different colours! you were supposed to trace them! It was like a train map!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are still like that now - Burda that is. You get used to looking at them. You need to trace each one but the more you do the easier it gets and the styles are very good. Better than most patterns out there.

      Delete