Sunday 26 June 2022

Bra top / bralet prototype


This is something I have been intending to make so quite a while. However I did not want to cut into some new decent fabric until I had used it for eg a shirt or leggings so I waited. Its really annoying when you cut a new bit of fabric to then realise you cannot make what you originally wanted from it so for small things like this bra I prefer to wait until I have some offcuts left over. Its just more cost effective. 

Some time ago I wrote a short post to remind me of a bra or exercise top I found that I thought was really nice and looked very comfy. 

 This is what I am inspired by:

My top though is  just a protoype but I am so far very happy so will assuming it stays in place today, be making more because its easy. Also I will probably have a go with the mesh insert atsome point once I have perfected the restof it. 

 

My back is slightly different but I may do it like the original next time.

The centre back on this is more like the RP bikini top. Though that one is a bit wider to give a gathered back but its very similar. 

Its also as you can see really badly sewn:

I had loads of recent sewing machine issues which I believe ( fingers crossed!) that I have now sorted and this top was made during the adjusting / sorting process so the stitching is quite uneven and has problems with tension. That does not actually matter for my purposes which was to make a prototype that is comfy and lacks elastic because recently all my bra tops have been so uncomfortable. I am not sure why but I am finding anything tight really annoying. Even things that have been staples for a year or so have become unbearable. So I am attempting to make some comfortable undies I can handle wearing for more than an hour or so. Its really not "done" where I work to go bra-free unfortunately so I must wear some kind of undies.

This top relies totally on lycra in the fabric. The main body is french terry cotton/ lycra used to make my sweatshirt dresses so not sure how comfy this will be. I have had the top on for about an hour so far and it seems good. The edging is swimwear fabric. The lower band is just swimwear fabric doubled into a band and to make it tight enough I cut it about 2 inches or 10cm shorter than the hem and stretched to fit. So far its working and staying put where it should do.

Patterns:

Back piece is the Noelle from Madalynne ( free) and the front is the RP cami top. Next version - or at least the next version I cut because I have one cut out already the same as this, I will try to narrow the back racer part to make it neater. Otherwise it needs to fold over like I did here because Noelle is desgned to have proper bra parts such as rings, bra straps and sliders. IE its a bra. This is more pf an exercise top and hopefully will solve my current comfort troubles.

Again not very professionally finished. But looks ok from the outside at least - ignoring my dodgy tension anyway:

Though I am very happy how the seams on the side actually almost line up - this is something I am really not very good at and many thinsg I make do not line up right.

The bottom band has just one seam. Its one piece folded over. I decided the seam would be batter at one side but it may be more usual to put this at CB.


The success of course will come down to whether the bottom band stays in place or slips upwards. So far its doing well but I have yet to do housework, gardening etc. 

Well we are cutting hedges in the garden today so that should be a good tester. If I make more of these you can know that this desgn works.

Have a good weekend and thanks for popping by my blog,

Bracken

1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of crops and wire free bras! supportive but comfy! That looks really nice despite the tension issues!

    ReplyDelete