Saturday 7 May 2022

Steampunk navy skirt with black lace puffed sleeved top,

 

I am going a bit vistoriana today. 

I made the Steampunk skirt pattern before in dark green faux leather


It actualy got admired when I went to Aldi so I am very into that skirt despite how old it is now. This is exactly the same pattern - so its Simplicity 8020 which is a Steampunk sewing pattern. I bought it for the top but so far I have made both skirt lengths and not got round to the top as yet!

Its a high low as you can see - need to iron this I think!

Its made of a lightweight stretch canvas that was a bargain basement thing where you got 3m of "denim" for £5. There was no colour choices just listed (online) as black and navy and you got what you got but its a good price and reasonable quality as well so I bought a second piece and this was black denim. I have yet to use that one yet. According to the pattern it will only work for knits. However both this and the green skirt are stretch canvas so it will work for wovens if they have a decent stretch to them. Waist is elastic so its very comfortable and will work for the office too if I have a day when I need to dress up. Once its been pressed of course.

This top is made from Butterick 5562 view B. The top is squeezed from just 1m of fabric which cost me £1 so thats a serious bargain. I also very much love it so its going to get worn. Its stretch lace. I made this top before too in a scuba fabric. I actualy cocked up the sleeves totally on this early version but only realised when I made the lace one. Despite that I have worn it so much it has to be classes as one of my best ever makes.

This time I had to piece the sleeves so instead of ruching all down the sleeves, I have a long cuffed part going from just below elbow to wrist



and then a further cuff round the wrist to give the sleeve enough length. So its gathered at the top of the sleeve and puffed and on top of that from the elbow kind of has cuffs. That is how I could make it from just the one metre.


The sleeve gather is elastic down the sleeve - I used soft fold over elastic because I have found this is nice on this kind of ruching on delicate fabrics and its also pleated around the shoulder.

I suspect this top will be less wearable than its predecessor ( in black scuba) but it will make for a lovely weekend / going out top. Its worn here over my strappy cami but I will make some new small tops for under this I think. Not that I mind the red lining but its a way to have lots of variety with lots of different coloured under layers.



When I made each of these they were not really meant to be worn together but I really like them that way. Both are reasonably simple patterns and both I know will be nice to wear this summer and into next Autumn. I do like to plan ahead. I also think they both fit well into my Faery theme despite they are also quite "officey" or even a little bit Gothic.

Unfortunately, I do not make the best model. At least when photos were taken, but never mind. You get to see the important bit which is the clothes or fashion and not me!

Thanks for popping by my blog and hope to see you again soon,

Bracken

2 comments:

  1. Very Goth Faery! Love it! I really like how the red top shows under the lace one and agree that other colour tops are a good way to change it up sometimes!

    ReplyDelete