Wednesday 26 June 2019

Updated lilac gingham skirt

 Really I made this skirt back in 2017 but it was never right. Last year I did not even bother to wear it and when we had Me Made May 2019 I decided it is time to root out all those badly made items I just do not wear. This skirt was on the list.

But then I thought well I do like it. It is just that the original version was so imperfect. The bottom of the frill was wrong and was sewn into the hem rather than floating free. The waistband was wide elastic which worked but I hated. And worst of all it was far too big for me!

So I decided rather than throw this I would remake it or update it.

It took quite a bit of unpicking to redo this. There are actually two versions of this skirt offered by Burda. https://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/ruffle-skirt-122016

This pattern makes both a frill version and a zip front version:

The original frill version

Once I had it all appart I decided to do another version of this skirt I made back in the autumn but to keep the frill as well so in reality its a mix of both Burda versions with a zip and a frill.

This skirt is actually a 3-way reversible skirt which seemed a great idea.

It is not successful!

The zip undoes as I walk. So far I have worn it for about 15 minutes and always had to take it off.


The new version of my gingham skirt has the zip in the opposite way up so undoes from the waist and it works really well so now I need to remake this skirt as well.

Thats actually quite a bit more difficult than redoing the gingham skirt due to being interfaced down the zip and having two layers.


Well this time with the zip the opposite way up this skirt works. I am happy. I wore this all day at work, it was comfortable, although I did start the day with bare legs and it was so cold here in the UK I opted out mid-morning and put some leggings on. Other than the weather though the skirt is great now I have altered it and I am inclined to spend the time its going to take me to update a few others of my Me Mades. And with each new update I not only save some nice clothes, I also become better at sewing and work out how to make my clothes fit. Oh and this skirt is also now the right size as well- Bonus eh!

I now have a normal waistband made from scraps of gingham left over from the various projects. Where the zip joins the waistband is actually not quite right. Maybe I will do it better next time but its not unwearable so I am currently happy with this despite this slight imperfection.
In case you were wondering, I also made the wrap top here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/04/95-and-96-skirt-and-top-for-tms-bright.html

Thanks for popping by
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment