Saturday 13 June 2020

Green snakeskin dress and top



I started to write this blog post back in September 2019. Then I never got round to taking the photos because I did not really like the dress and just forgot it existed.

At that time I thought that I chose the wrong fabric for this snakeskin print dress. The dress turned out huge. The fabric is just too lightweight and stretchy (or so I thought then) and I ended up taking this in loads.
 

I must have taken it in about 4-5cm in total front and back so at least a full dress size and probably a bit more. The same with the cropped top under the dress which is the same cotton lycra T shirt type of fabric.

My conclusion then was that this pattern which is Burda Style 102 04/201 was just not right for the fabric and I had wasted this snakeskin print which I saved for a nice project all last summer so it was a bit upsetting at that time. But that was with winter approaching. I made this back in September 2019 just before my hip replacement.

How things have changed since then!



I got the dress out to have a look at what it is like, put it on and wow I do like this dress after all.

Maybe its the time of year?
Maybe its the weather?
Or maybe I just feel good now that I am able to walk and no longer feel like an old lady? 
Whatever it is I like both versions of this dress very much this year.

Loads of pics below!




And the all green snakeskin version................














I made 3 tops back in September from this pattern. A black, a white and a coral. The photos of these tops were taken just before my hip replacement hence the stick. Perhaps really that was the problem. I thought at the time I made this that this dress was a disaster. But this dress feels young and summery. I was feeling very old when I made these. I was in pain and winter was coming so it was the wrong time for a bright, lime green, snakeskin dress. Now I feel young again, at least until the other hip goes anyway 😀



The tops are, I have to say a success. The one shoulder layered look really works for me though I have yet to wear any of them on their own. They feel surprisingly OK with tracksuit bottoms. I have worn these loads in winter though, despite the size being a bit big because I have worn a vest under them for warmth and because they are a little big they were still comfortable. You cannot really see in the pictures above but I made the coral top a hem length shorter than the white which gives a nice intentional layered look.

So the three 3 tops are a success despite them being too large for me. When I make more I will make smaller. I never took in the coral or white tops but they work Ok layered especially in winter and spring. I took the plain black and the snakeskin top and dress in loads. They are at least two sizes smaller and maybe more. Burda sizing for you!


 I will be making more of this style because its been really fun to wear. And that is right through the seasons.

Its not a "usual" style with layering of one shouldered tops but I love the look. Its made me adventurous in what I make now rather than sticking with basics. Though perhaps next time I will just make the longer version because I rarely wear the short black undertop.   I wear two opposite long top layers so one for each side. I may next time though try making these with no darts because o be honest I do not think my size needs them. Its stretch fabric after all.

 

The black top which I made back then works really nicely with this dress. Its more clingy than the other two. I actually though prefer the snakeskin top which gives it a proper "dress" look. You can see the black and snakeskin layers better in the photos though. Mind you I expect in reality I will wear it both ways. Ring the changes and all that.


My posture is better now which probably helps to make this dress wearable - and look good. Having a dodgy leg really makes you stand weird. When I made this dress I really could not stand up straight because of the pain in my hip. Now I am all fixed😀

I am just so amazed at how looking at something a few months later can mean you like what previously you thought a disaster!

I have worn this dress twice in the last two weeks and its very much a nice dress. Perfect for the slightly colder days of June.


Soooo glad I did not chuck this one out!
Bracken



No comments:

Post a Comment