Monday 29 June 2020

Blue lacy mohair jumper


This is made using second hand mohair from Ebay and cost under £12 to make. And when I say second hand I mean its been in someones loft or airing cupboard for years - quite possibly since the 1980s. It has never been knitted up till now. 

I just cannot believe the price of mohair currently. Definitely if you want yarn have a look at Ebay and if you do not mind buying second hand you can save a fortune and get an affordable jumper that is just as good as those currently being advertised. I got the pattern from this 1980s magazine.

https://d3rfhm6ilkew5i.cloudfront.net/spree/images/attachments/000/022/391/large/Toto-Sweater_TCM_Cloudy-Blue.jpg?1591019585

It seems to me its the same stitch and design as this jumper.


It was on offer as a kit for £61:00 down from £88 at Wool and The Gang. Link here if you want to check it out: https://www.woolandthegang.com/en/products/toto-sweater-discounted-colours

Well, WOW! Its so similar - though I prefer my darker (or maybe more intense is the right word) blue colour.

When this landed in my inbox I was just sewing this blue jumper up. It took me a couple of days. I hate the sewing up and as usual I have started the next jumper before i even attempt to sew it. Its done eventually though it is hard to get motivated to sew a warm juper up when its as hot as it is today - 32 ℃ apparently! I definitely do not need a jumper today.


The pattern said I need 50g more than I had. It was a totally different yarn to that intended by the pattern so I decided to play safe by using a different yarn for the borders/ ribbs. So I used a different blue for the ribbing. As it turned out I could have got it out of what I had without the slight contrast but never mind. Better safe that have to unpick half way through. I can use my left over yarns later for a multi coloured fairisle type of knit or for gloves or something. It will not be wasted.

I changed the slashed neck on the original pattern to a normal crew neck. If I had known about the kit before though I may have stuck with the slash neck detailed becuase this is just a little too similar. I like to have my stuff a bit different to what is on the market so to speak.

Also my pattern says 7mm needles and the Wool and The Gang on has 6.5mm needles. Normally I would size down to make it thicker but being lace I decided to go with exactly what the pattern said. It works fine and I like this jumper very much though its far too hot for it right now even though its lacey.




Come this winter I am going to be very wealthy when it comes to hand knits it seems.

I think I should be able to wear this one for work too because its very nice and ordinary - as proved by the virtually identical one appearing in my inbox.






Oh and just one thing though, if you do want a very, very easy lace pattern this is the stitch, with just two pattern rows and you just reverse on the return rows. By half way through the back I was already bored but I actually do not like to wear cables as much as I like to knit them so it will make a lovely change in my wardrobe.

Roll on winter so I can wear this
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment