Friday 30 October 2020

Witchy Halloween dress


This the second piece of fabric bought from Minerva fabrcs. I made a top from the first piece. I do not seem to have blogged about though I am sure we took the photos. Thats a To-Do then!

I actually made this dress pattern before. I hardly wear the green dress because its full length. I do wear the tartan dress though which is based on this pattern.

The hood is taken from the hoody top pattern I have used several times for Mick's tops. 

I realised that I could not get long sleeves out of this amount of fabric, so this is a big one for me I don't do short sleeves. I usually either have no sleeves or long sleeves. Short for me is below the elbow so three quarter length!

 

This is the better quality piece of fabric of the two I bought and very apt for a halloween dress - not that I will not be wearing this all year round,. although I only bought 1m of fabric so this was difficult to squeeze this dress out of it.

I had a lot of difficulty getting a whole dress from just the 1m I owned. You can see; for the hood I cut half of the hem off. It does not need a pull cord though and it works as a hood. 



I actually had to overock right at the edge of the hood to get this out of what was left after cutting the main dress parts. As you can see I cut right into the seam allowance - at least I never cut into it it just was not there!
 

I really do like high low hems!



I think this is a lovely dress despite being somewhat fragile. Great with stripey leggings which incidentally are very old from H&M. They are actually childrens. I have them in green, purple and grey as well and I wear them all year round not just for halloween.

 I really like this dress though sewing it up was difficult due to how the fabric "frays" when cut. Next time I am going to stay stitch each panel before I even attempt to stitch up the garment. This is the hardest fabric to sew I have ever used.Bits of the cut part get left outside after sewig and then its so fragile on the undereath layer you cannot unpick for risk of making holes. I only missed one bit on the dress and cut off. I missed alot more bits on my top but more later about that.

 Happy Halloween!

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment