Saturday 26 December 2020

Black Mesh tops x 3



 I love mesh tops. It has nothing to do with current fashion either. I have worn them since I was about 17 when I got my first mesh t-shirt in the 1980s. 

These are all made form very ( relatively anyway) cheap fabric from one of the online fabric pound shops. I reviewed the shops a while back when I made my tiger stripe mesh top. The problem with these three tops is on the photos you cannot really see them so I deided to post about all 3 at once. It took a few weeks to make these due to time constrictions since I now work full time again, but they are really very similar. 

They are all self drafted similar to the navy top I made years ago now. I have made lots of versions of that navy top and found another piece of the navy mesh fabric in my stash which is brilliant because the three navy and one white top I made are very tatty now so I can make some replacements and actually throw a few items out ( whilst replacing with the same number of new ones I expect!). I seem to hoard clothing I make in a  similar way to the fabric I stash. These 3 tops, all though, have the boat neck from the pattern Butterick 5562 rather than my straight across neck in the original versions.

Anyway the most expensive of these is made from powermesh from ebay. That cost me £6.99 for one metre. 

This one is the most drapey fabric and is very stretchy - being made form powermesh.

 

Its also the most boring but wearable of the three tops.


Then the circle top is my second one is from pound-a metre.co.uk. Its not as stretchy and is prone to go into ladders when overlocking if you pull the fabric which usually on hems on this kind of mesh I would do, because I like a slightly wavy edge, but not the rolled edge you can do, because I want an overlocked punk look. Its sold as glitter circles but I reckon most of the glitter must have dropped off which is probably why its only £1 a metre. I only bought a metre and have enough left to maybe make a pair of knickers which could be nice.

This is much lighter weight and less drapey. BUT very evening wear.
Sadly there will not be any New Years Eve Parties this year because it would be ideal. Never mind it may still be around for the festivals next summer. If we get over Corona virus by then.

Top number three is lovely. It hard to see here though.


Its actually my favourite and is a shiny, glitter glossy mesh that has very good stretch but is not as heavy as the powermesh and is also quite drapey but again less than the powermesh. Its just perfect for a disco look. 

 

I will try and get some more photos of this because its really hard to capture in daylight but may work better on camera under electric lighting.

 

I will be wearing this over Christmas.

Its the perfect: punk, glamourous slobbing top, for wearing with velvet track pants, over a dress or under a slip dress  or over a small vest like I wore here. 

 

Take care and have a lovely Christmas 2020. 

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment