Saturday 12 December 2020

Woven Cotton cartoon print T shirt

I made this top with no pattern. Its based on this top I made a long time ago. The yellow top I wear loads in summer and since there was just a small piece of this fabric left over from my Partly Sunny Frock I realised I could make a similar top from this lovely cartoon fabric.


I am though going to make a couple more of these T tops because I really like them. They are I think better in summer than winter but despite that its the right time for me because I need t destash and I need to do this now not in 6 months time.

 My old top has been a summer staple for years now so its well over due to make a few more. They are very cool and airy in the heat. In winter being woven they are less useful unless you wear something underneath but if layered, they seem so far to work all year round.

Ths is comfy top despite being thin summery cotton and its now winter. I will admit to wearing a vest under it when it was nasty cold day a few days ago but its big enough and loose enough to be able to do that. It looks great with jeans and leggings. I have not yet worn with a skirt but cannot see why it will not go and I have to say I very much like this despite the simplicity of the design. Its just two pieces - a front and back -in what is a vague bat wing shape to allow for ease of movement but its not too bat wing meaning I cannot still wear something over it which is essential this time of year.

 

And I love this print!

To cut this out I literally laid the old top on my fabric and cut around it. I had to cut front and back seperately due to the shape of the bits I had left, but if making from new uncut fabric you could cut both together and just slightly lower the front neckline with respect to the back neckline. 


 

My original yellow top is actually all one piece so no shoulder seams. I have found that although aesthetically thats nice its does not work well on my body because I seem to end up pulling it forward and backwards to find the right place on my body. This has shoulder seams and works much better.

The neck is imperfect. Thats the only thing I did wrog with this. Or not wrong but I just overlocked the edge and sewed it over and I think it may have looked better if I had either made a facing like my yellow top or eve just bias bound it. I decided having made it I would try it out and I do not intend to change the neck but its not as tidy as it could have been.

 

So this is a bog success and I think I need to stop worrying about using easy to make designs because I find most of the time they are often also the nicest designs to wear. I tend to gauge my makes on how difficlt they are. Well there is an arguement in favour of pushing yourself but it should not I think be at the cost of making things you really like. This is a very simple top. You need minimal sewing skills to make this yet its probably, going by my yellow version, going to be worn more than many more difficult designs. I intend to make at least a couple more of this kind fo T shirt.

Have a lovely weekend and stay safe;

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment