Thursday 21 January 2021

Top from stashed scraps


This is really made from scraps. I am stash busting all those bits you keep that are too good to throw away but not big enough for a whole item of clothing but maybe a pocket? Or somethng else of use? 

They take up so much room. From a large black bin liner of scraps I cut three long sleeved tops and two bras which I will say more about once I get them sewn up. In each case there was not enough fabric to do more than eg the back or the sleeves of the long sleeved tops. I made the bras because there was not enough fabric left to even to make a panel on a princess line top. Proves you should keep your scraps though!

So this top has a front of a lovely and I believe vintage 80s/90s crinkle fabric that was the forerunner of scuba and the stretch crepes you see these says. It was lovely and silky to wear but did not last that long. I picked this up a while ago from an Ebay seller and did not realise what I had bought till it arrived. Since I love this fabric I was very happy and I made two dresses from this before and also a pair of leggings. 

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/10/black-leggings-2-pairs-winter-capsule.html

All are very comfortable.

 

The back of this top is scuba crepe but I used the smooth reverse of the fabric for this and the sleeves are made from upcycling a top I bought for 99p. It was always going to be cut up but I have actually been wearing this the last 3 years or so so it really was worth the 99p I paid for it. Its a nice sparkly leopard print but had a weird neckline though this was not unwearable as I found. I just got a bit bored with it though so time to reuse. I cut it as you can see to create puffed sleeves. The lower panel of the top was gathered at the sides. I included this as the lower part of the sleeve and it meas it made a kind of cuff. It all lined up perfect when sewn as well which was an accidental bonus. I do love when things just work!

It was a relatively fast sew using a TNT pattern: Butterick 5562 but without any of the fancy necklines. A quick work worthy top that cost nothing at all!

I made the red leggings as well which you can read about here

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2019/05/red-lisette-mesh-side-panel-leggings.html

Stay safe and keep crafting

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment