Sunday 27 June 2021

Vest tops

 


As explained in my post a last week what I discovered after this years # Me Made May was my need -  like really urgent need - for small vest type summer tops / winter underwear.

I spent last weekend putting several printed patterns together and tracing others. 

This is the Durango tank from Hey June Patterns. Its a free pattern and its about time I actually made this since I downloaded and printed it several years ago and never got round to it. I missed out the CB seam on this and removed the seam allowance so I could cut on a fold as one piece.

This is a size 2, so I thought around a UK 8, but it turned out a bit bigger than I want, so next time I will make a smaller size. Its not quite a racer back despite it being described like that, though is cut in at the shoulders.

I never bound the edges on this one just overlocked, then twin needle hemmed and turned them under. The pattern does come with pieces for the bindings though if you want to make this and I think its a really nice top so worth having especially since its a free pattern. The neck and armholes are pretty good but the hem went a bit wavy. I am not so worried as I used to be about this, having recently visited a sports wear shop selling RTW (addidas) tops with wavy hems!

 

Next I tried a burda pattern. this I traced from Burda Style 06/2014 and style 125. Now normally I am a perfect Burda size 36. This top is huge. I checked the fit on the model before writing this post in case its meant to be a baggy fit, and its supposed to fit tighter and more how I wanted it to. Stupidly I never checked before binding the edges so its my own fault. I should have checked and I could have taken it in a bit. I am going to try remaking this as well but smaller. I am wondering did I trace the wrong size? Or add too much seam allowance? 





Its especially annoying since I used a double layer of black fabric on the front - meaning besides the wasteage it much harder to sew it up though the walking foot was well worth having for this - because I decided its was a bit transparent so I would not feel uncomfortable wearing it with a double layer,  and I used a shiny swimwear very stretch fabric for the back so I have a nice shiny/ matt contrast going on here with the edges bound in contrasts too  - the neck edge is matt, front is matt and back is shiny and arm holes are shiny. 

 

Though I suppose at least the black top does not have wavy hems!


The burda top will either work as a PJ top or I can wear over a small top like I am in the the photos here for a layered look, but its not really what I was after. The top underneath is my self drafted camo top tho this link will take you to all the undies I made a few weeks ago.

So now instead of moving forward to better quality fabrics I am still in the muslin stage for vests. I will wear both of these and will make more so all is not lost but I have not managed to make what I thought would be simple and pretty boring to sew tops. 

I am actually considering using the burda back with the Durango front - both in smaller sizes- because I prefer the higher front neck of the Durango since want to wear these for work tops as well as play. And I also prefer the proper racer back of the burda top. Maybe? I will let you know what happens and if this works. Alternatively the blocks from "Make your own Activewear" at least make tops that fit me so maybe I should make my own pattern and trace the racer back part? Not sure yet but this venture into boring basic tops is now it seems going to become a project. Still that will at least end with a few tops that fit and I usually enjoy this kind of challenge.

You can see here how it gapes at the armholes!

At least these were both made in relatively cheap fabric so I did not waste anything very good. Proves a muslin's a good idea - as is trying it on before you actually bind edges and while its still easy to make adjustments.

Ah well you can't win em all!

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment