Friday 8 October 2021

Cape!

 

This has been a very long time in the making phase. I cut this out and started sewing up a whole year ago. I actually got to just needing to do the hems and then it was spring so I gave up on it.
I was inspired to make this ages ago before  when I read about it on Melissa Feyers blog https://blog.fehrtrade.com/gallery/3443/a-teal-wool-cape/
I did make a big mistake with all the stopping and starting making this I never trimmed round the inside of the hood edge so its a bit bulky and does not quite lie as flat as I would have liked. Other than that I am very proud to have this completed at last. I was hard to make this despite I expected it to be easy.

I did not want to double faced fabric to look rubbish on the reverse side. I attempted to do french seams everywhere but the curved seams on the shoulders make this really hard and I had to give in and then used bias binding to tape all the rest of the inside seams. The hood is self lined.




Hem has bias strip and then invisible hemming done on my machine. I did fill in a few bits I missed by hand I must admit!


The end result is a very neat cape inside and out though so I am happy.

This is the original of this pattern:

 

I even had a go at doing invisible hems with my sewing maching which is not as easy as I have read it to be described. I missed a few bits and ended up sewing them by hand but the invisible hem function on the sewing machine is well worth trying out because its saved me hours of hemming by hand.
There are poppers sewn to the storm flap which covers the zip.

It was hard to get good photos of this the day I wore it because it was very windy. I think this is going to be a great autumn coat (cape).

Its worn here with my upcycled skull tshirt and my wide leg trousers - also Burda.

I like this so much though I am seriously considering making another cape now. Just not sure which pattern to use. I have loads of 1970s Burdas which seem to be full of capes so probably will make one of them - to justify keeping them of course. Though I kind of fancy making a traditional peasant cape of the kind that was in common use everywhere and by all classes during the last few hundred years.

Take care and have a lovely weekend. Thanks for popping by

Bracken



No comments:

Post a Comment