Tuesday 25 January 2022

Rebecca Page Sweater Cape with added Hoody Cowl neck hack.


I have had the Sweater Cape pattern since it was released but never till now had the right fabric to make it. Mind you this is possibly also not the ideal fabric but this does work.

The way you sew this up is very weird. The sleeves kind of go into the shoulder seams. Usually I do not need the RP directions but I used them this time because its such a puzzle. BUT if you read the instructions this is very easy to make and goes together really well. I find all RP patterns match up properly though, unlike a lot of the big 4, which I have found seams can be out by several cm. Not so with RP.

Changes to the RP pattern: 

I swapped the collar for a hood.The hood is from the Men's hoody cowl sweatshirt which I made recently for Mick. He is obsessed with that and seeks it out even from the dirty washing pile! Nasty! But does show how much he is into that one. I am making a second one for him. Its the first thing I have ever made that he prefers over RTW  logo clothing. He wears it with some pretty expensive sportswear. - I do feel my sewing side being flattered with that!

Anyway because he is so OTT about the hood on his top I decided to add it to this instead of the collar its meant to have. I needed to do a couple of tucks in the back neck to make the hood fit. I used a XS for the hood and XS for the sweater cape but the sizing is not actually the same if you read it for eg hips, waist etc. 

I did not this time add a pull cord to the hood so its less adjustable than Mick's. One to remember next time as well. Though I could probably adjust the hood to add one.

Besides swapping the hood for the collar, I added the cuffs pattern piece to the sleeve pattern piece with the idea it does not need a cuff then, so lengthening the sleeve - keep it simple since its fur etc. 

However, I now feel the sleeve is still despite the addition of the cuff to its length, a bit short, so I am considering adding a cuff onto that. I do like my sleeves extra long and should have considered that before making but for some reason I did not. I might just find some ribbing though rather than add a fur cuff. Not sure yet, but if I am not wearing gloves with this it needs longer sleeves. Normally I would have measured the sleeves against an existing top but in this case the weird shape of the structure meant that was impossible. I would also prefer a slightly wider sleeve next time I make this, so I can wear a sweatshirt or even a long sleeved top under this. As it is no I can't. But; for the price of the fabric, I could not make a cheaper wearable muslin so thats all ok.

And of course its lined!

I decided I need to line it with a second layer of fabric to make the very cheap ( £4 a metre in a sale) fur warmer and to give a nice inside because the fur has a knitted shiny backing. I think its the sort of fur usually made into scarves or cushions. I though have loads of it, in 3 colours, so will be experimenting further with what I can make from this, 

I used scuba for the lining, which has a striped design. For some reason this scuba fabric, which I expected to be very useable when I bought it, has remained unused in the stash  for nearly 2 years so its fair game as a lining for this. Its not a loose lining. Instead I just overlocked all the bits at once so the lining is sewn at the same time as the fur. Its successful at making this a fair bit warmer though.

You can see where the sleeve is joined along the shoulder seam here. I had no one to help today so its impossible to hold out both sleeves but just imagine a mirror image.

And you get a peak of the blue fur I am using next in the background. Along with a messy work area but thats me when crafting!

 

Despite its made from fur, this top is better suited to early spring rather than January when these photos are being taken. I do not see that its very likely I am wearing it until probably March because you need a coat over it and the shape this is precludes that. Or at least its not comfortable to wear a coat over it anyway. Back in the early 2000's I once wore a poncho under a coat. It feels like that. Kind of bulky and uncomfortable so best left for a couple of months time when it should really come into its own.

You cannot wear it on its own as a coat due to the sleeves being too narrow so its more like a sweatshirt really and its too cold right now to wear that alone when out and about - at least most days. Today its 2 DegC so pretty cold. Despite all this I love it and am happy to have got round to making this. And of course I have a slight head start in that case on my early spring wardrobe since this is definitely what I think you would call a transitioning piece.


Take care and see you soon

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment