Wednesday 19 January 2022

Updates - my aubergine dress

 

 Ah, so this dress has been annoying me so much. I actually bought some more of the fabric - which came from Ebay and they increased the price by nearly £2!

Anyway despite the price increase I still bought another metre of this because I am so unhappy with it every time I put it on. I just never wear this and always end up changing into something else. So thats not right is it?

 

Original neckline

Well its the hood and the neck you see. Just isn't right and also (which I am less bothered about) does not look like the original RTW dress I was copying. Most importantly it must FEEL right and it didnt!

So this is actually the third hood I have attempted - though the second version I never took photos of. It lasted about 4 days and then changed into this one. The second version is also too small hoody wise like the original version which is here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2021/10/velvet-hoody-dress-rtw-inspired.html

The first version is well described in the original post. Its a copy of a goth RTW dress I fancied but did not want to pay the extortionate price for. 

The second version I used the hood from the Newlook 6142 pattern. Thats actually what it is now but after using that pattern ( note that I squared off the top of the hood to get the witchy look) I again decided it just did not look right so I added the fur onto the edge. At this point my new metre of fabric had arrived but I never needed it so have that for something else. Unfortunately experience tells me that having just 1m is rubbish and very difficult to use and since I spent the last 3 months trying to eliminate 1m pieces of velvets from my stash this is actually not a good thing. Still these things do happen ( to me!).

 

As you can see MUCH MUCH bigger hood!
The fact the fur is the same colour is pure chance. It was reduced at Pound Fabrics - google it. Cheap and good fabric company - unlike my previous Pound-a-metre experiences this company has been ace and I would defo reccommend them. And if you sign up you get points and I managed after very few orders to actually get £3 off.  I never bothered to sign up for my first 2 orders but would suggest you do not make my mistake if you buy off them.
Anyway never mind that. The fur is left over from the RP sweater cape pattern. - more on that once I get to taking the photos so a bit of a spoiler here too:)

Never mind!This is finally something I am actually happy with, thanks to that small ofcut of fur fabric to make the hood larger.Its not the same as the RTW version. Personally I think its actually better though has taken a lot of reworking to get it to that point. But I am happy nw and have worn it twice over the Christmas holiday so thats my proof I like it. I finally got to wear this withut changing into something else. Success at last then.

Take care, keep warm - if in the north hemisphere, and have a lovely week

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment