Thursday 6 January 2022

Narrow leg velvet joggers - 2 pairs

 
I liked the black narrow joggers and my  navy glitter joggers so much I decided to use my various 1m lengths of stretch velvet, taking up room in my stash, to make more of these. There is really not much you can make from 1m of fabric so I need to stop buying these random lengths when I see them. I just have to own a small amount of these lovely fabrics but then do not have enough to do anything with what I buy!

 

 The first pair is made using 2 way ( or 4 way depending on how you see it!) stretch lycra velvet in grape. When I bought this I expected purple but its actually red. Dark red but definitely red. It was sold as dancewear fabric and is very stretchy so if I wanted a body or a leotard it would work well. Right now I do not so for the last however many years this just waited in my stash. 

I am plaeased with these. They are a good copy of lots of RTW clothing right now so fashionable. They are warm and brilliant for Christmas so I can be a slob  - but a stylish slob.

The second pair which is really a bit rubbish but I cannot work out why is made from the same green velvet I made these leggings from.

  

I have tried to make loads from this green fabric because I had 6.1m of it. Nothing, other than this one pair of leggings which after all is mainly scuba, has actually looked right. I do not know why though. I cannot understand it.

In these photos it looks like I sewed the waistband unevenly but when I lie them fat it seems OK.






A bit elephant arse!

Are they too baggy at the top? 
My red ones work fine!

 I am very much NOT HAPPY with these green joggers!

Yes maybe just a little unevenly sewn on the waistband?
Well also on the hem bands but that does not matter it appears and tbh I find stretch velvet is actually very difficult to sew up. I assume thats why garments made form it cost so much. I had thought they just cashed in on these luxury fabrics but maybe there is more to it. Mind you despite the hems being rubbishly sewn they do not look bad on so I am not worrying about them at all. Its the waistband!



This is the back

When flat they look like this so really nothing major wrong. I have sewn much worse in the past and its looked fine. I thik the green velvet is very unforgiving!

So I decided to begin with never mind I will just wear them. These are mostly being worn in the house tho I might pop out to Tesco in them. Either way I am not really intending to go out to the theatre in them so does it really matter? 

Well yes it does! I do not want to wear these. Every time I go and put them on I change within an hour because I do not like them. So in the end I spent my free time over two days carefully unpicking the waistband. I decided its got too much fabric in it. I did kind of randomy cut my waistbands for these so they do vary in width a bit from one pair of joggers to another. The green is WIDE!

I resewed the waistband in case that was the problem. This time I used a wide stretch zigzag stitch same as the original black narrow joggers, but they still look kind of rubbish.

Well as they say you can't win 'em all.  I certainly seem to lose with anything made from the green velvet so the rest is strictly going to be knickers! It will not matter then and I will get lots of warm underwear for January. I think thats my next project by the way. Undies!


 

UPDATE: I took the waistband off the green joggers AGAIN. It was not an easy thing to deal with but I did it. Then remade

 


I am still not sure they are right but this time if they do not fit after a few hours they are definitely going in the bin!

Thanks for popping by

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment