Wednesday 19 January 2022

Winwick Mun 2022 Sockalong - Mosaic socks


Just a quick post to show you my progress ( or lack of) taking part in the 2022 Winwick Mum Sockalong.

You may remember my previous two pairs of hand knit socks which were made using the basic sock along - also via Winwick Mum. 

However I followed that  sock along recently when in fact it occurred back in 2015. Theres more on my purple socks here 

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2021/10/my-very-first-pair-of-knitted-socks.html


and green socks here. https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2021/12/green-socks-my-second-pair-of-hand.html

This time I am using the new ( and free) Mosaic socks pattern - by Winwick Mum. Again the idea is to use stashed yarns. I did have a look at proper sock yarn but its so expensive that unless I can afford quite a few balls I am better off trying to use my stashed yarns. The postage is as much as one ball of yarn! At some point I do need to buy some proper sock yarn but I need to be able to get about 6 balls to make it worth it. Or maybe visit an actual shop. Well for me thats such a novel idea and it has nothing to do with covid. I haven't been proper shopping for anything other than food since 2007! Also I still have about 20 balls of this ( bad buy!) lace weight kid mohair and the socks I already knitted from it are amazing.

I started these in pink and yellow with the yarn doubled (lace weight kid mohair as previously). But I had forgotten why I knitted the green in different shades - because its easier not to miss one of the threads when knitting! The green are silly and too thick though. I made holes in my fingers making them which meant I had to keep stopping to let my fingers heal. I should have knitted them as double knit or something!

I actually only need to knit the lace weight doubled to get the right thickness for sock yarn. So I decided having started in pink and yellow to change to pink/purple and yellow/green. Thats worked much better - though as you can see I left the original border in solid colours. But having completed one pattern repeat there is not enough contrast so I have now decided to go back to solid yellow but keep the pink/purple mix.

Once I get a bit further I will show you what it looks like. I am knitting so much slower than others doing this sockalong. Still never mind. So long as they get finished eventually. 

Oh and also this time I have actually invested in circular needles. I cannot knit on the recommended size so ended up buying 3mm, 2.5mm, 2.25mm, 2.75mm and 2mm. These are meant to be knitted on 2.5mm. To get the tension I am using 2.00mm and they are so small! Still I have a great set of small circular needles now!

More next week on these. They are kind of going on in the background whilst still sewing as usual.

Take care

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment