Sunday 28 August 2022

Charcoal grey stripey trousers


These are really a slight variation on the Burda Magazine pattern 119, 06/201. I made them as track pants previously but this time I have slightly widened the legs by just straightening them up at the widest point. I also stuck the two front panels together and cut that as one piece. 

 


Yes, I am playing safe with patterns again but having made such a disaster of the Dotty Angel dress - well the dress was a distaster but I honestly blame the pattern not myself since a good friend found exactly the same issues when she made it- anyway I am being careful right now because I do not want to waste my good fabric on rubbish patterns so I admit to being somewhat unadventurous. 

The fabric is unknown fibre but probably some mix of poly cotton and is a shirting type of weight so hopefully will not crease too much because I want these for work over September and maybe if the weather keeps up into October as well.  For now they are good. Not too heavy for a hot day but not too summery for when it rains. The fabric has a white background with  narrow charcoal stripe on it, as found in many mens shirts, but in these photos you cannot tell.

The real change to the original pattern - other than widening the legs - is adding a wide elastic waistband that is constructed in what I always think of as 1980s style because back in the 1980s it seemed most eleastic waist RTW garments had multiple channels of narrow elastic not the wider elastic seen nowadays. 

The reason for this - well I have literally metres and metres of narrow elastic from when I made masks during covid and I want to clear it out. It also turns out ( its years since any of my clothes had this style of waistband) its actually very comfortable to wear this multi-channelled waistband but of course sewing row after row of narrow channels is a pain. Its much easier to sew just one or two wider channels like the modern elastic waists. However I am enjoying the softness of this style of waistband so I reckon I will make a second pair. Maybe in plain black cotton becuse I do like wearing these for work. They are smart but very casual. They are worn here with my black powermesh wrap top.

1 comment: