Monday 29 August 2022

Two new tube skirts


After I rediscovered my lovely and work friendly comfortable tube skirt I decided it must be time to make a new version. I have been living in my check version the last few weeks. Except when I have had to wash it anyway!

Like the check one both of these two tube skirts are from scraps left over from my other projects
 

 You often get a couple of largish pieces and don't know how to use them bcause there is not enough fabric to do a lot with. Mostly they become pocket linings but I am not currently planning on any trousers or coats so these left overs will be my newest tube skirt.

The starscape skirt I had only enough to cut the front. I thought when measuring my pattern piece against it that there was enough for both front and back and it was not until I had cut it I realised I could not get two halves of my skirt from the weird shaped piece of fabric I had. 

Unfortunately, I ran out of one of my cottons when doing the hem!!! I should know better by now and check before I start sewing. And its on the front! Still I decided to leave this because it marks this fabric if you unpick sewing so I will just have to live with this minor error. I suspect most people will never notice.  You can just about see it in the photo above.


When I came to cut the second pattern piece just did not fit so I opted to use some stretch black cotton jersey instead. It works quite well and gives me a different look. I used the front skirt piece from the New Look 6230 for both front and back of these skirts.

  

I am thinking maybe to make a top out of the off-cuts of both the starscape and black to match at some point. There is enough black for a front and back of a top and I think enough of the starscape for some sleeves - maybe a raglan T shirt?

 

Its worn here with my grey glitter sweatshirt.

The second skirt is the last sizeable piece of my steampunk/ art deco fabric and I already have a short dress and a top made from this which I think will hopefully work well to keep me warm this winter. With thick tights or leggings.

 

Worn here with my navy glitter sweatshirt.

 

And both skirts should help me transition through to autumn/fall with some comfort and ease.  

Its a strange thing to go back to tube skirts after all these years. They were the look of my youth. Partly due to them being cheap to buy if I am honest. 

Now they are back on the high street though I have rediscovered the simplicity and ease with which this style can be worn - dressy, sports wear, and casual depending on the fabric they are made from. And what they are worn with of course.

And a brilliant way to use up scraps. 

I am now thinking this look should be my go-to holiday look since we pretty much always go camping - well except for a very occassional trip abroad but they seem to happen about once in 5 years so we will be in the UK for holidays for the next few years I would think and these skirts are small to pack, crease very little, dry fast, and work with most basic clothing like T shirts and sweatshirts and will be very easy to throw a pair of combat trousers over to keep warm if the weather changes. Also they can be dressy enough for a dinner out. 

Perfect camping holiday gear!

I am now considering a sweatshirt version for winter but that depends if I have enough sweatshirt scraps to do this. So far I have not had time to go through my stash. 

Next time, as well, I will take the extra time to make a couple of button holes in the waistband and add a pull cord like my check skirt,  because the extra detail of the check skirt is a nice feature. I missed it out on these and just added some elastic which works fine, but I think with hindsight its worth the extra effort. Still something for the next version and I do not necessarily really want every short skirt exactly the same. 

Thanks for popping by my blog and see you again soon

Bracken

1 comment: