Saturday 3 December 2022

Rainbow socks

 

I am doing well with this knitting so far this winter despite my sewing has slowed to a virtual stop. Still nice to get some of these projects finished and I really needed this one.

These are my latest basic 4 ply socks from the Winwick Mum sockalong pattern. The yarn is from Lang and is called Parrot. Its a self striping printed yarn so the black bits that look like fairisle are printed on so all you do for these is just knit round and round. Its a very effective way to get patterned socks.

I made these a bit longer than the last pair because now I have a guage by which to work out how much yarn is really available. I still have some left over but can make what people seem to call scrappy socks at some point if I carry on knitting socks. Scrappy socks is when people just use up all their odd bits of sock yarn so you get some random coloured socks - but still socks.
Not the most interesting post really I suppose but I do love how these have turned out.
The stripes really do ( almost) match. I think they print this pattern on though rather than dye them. Otherwise I cannot see how they make this work.Though I think my tension varies slightly because the patterns on the two socks are just slightly out. Still not to worry. They are loads better than I would have believed possible 18 months or 2 years ago - before I learned to knit socks.

I actually just started a pair in this years Yorkshire Spinners Christmas yarn called Ginger but if I actually get them finished to wear at Christmas I will be ecstatic. So far it takes me several months to actually get socks knitted. I started these ones back in May straight after I finished the last pair.
 
My last pair of socks I knitted

.
Still I very much like wearing these kind of hand knit socks so its worth the effort.

This pair also fit me the best of what I have knitted sockwise so I am happy with that as well. All the others are a bit loose. Looser hand knit socks wear out easier and the amount of effort involved I really need them to last around a year which I am told they should do.



 So now because I bought so called "Christmas Yarn" for my next pair of socks - right back in August - and its taken me till now to finish these I am desperately trying to get a bit more dedicated to my knitting and actually stick to just the one project because really that should mean I can finish the socks in time.

 Its just usually I have 3 or more things on the go and keep swapping around. I mananged to knit a pair of quite difficult socks last January as part of a New Year sockalong so it should be possible to get the one pair knitted to wear for Christmas. Anyway, thanks for popping over. I will blog hop and see what everone else has been up to this week after I finish this.

Happy weekend

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment