Saturday 31 December 2022

Double faced wool coat with metallic silver fur trim

I actually made this coat for going to the theatre. Its a very simple wrap over dressing gown style of coat so no real fastenings other than a belt. 


And because the fabric is double faced no lining. Its still warm though and is some kind of wool mix that I picked up in a sale a couple of years ago. I made a ski cape from another piece of this fabric. 

Its trimmed with the same very light weight fur fabric I used for the sweater cape and hoody. I love and wear both of these but they are not that good for winter. They are too light weight and more suited to Autumn /Fall. More like sweatshirting than fur fabric. I have loads more of the silver fur though, so am considering either having two layers of this cheap fur  - one as lining and one as outer or lining with something else? Not sure yet but I should use this because its lovely soft fabric and the silver definitely adds a bit of glamour..

 

Its actually a pale grey fur with metallic silver in it. You can just about see it in the above photo.

I really love this coat because its relatively light to wear, has loads of room for thick jumpers under it, and its just comfy and warm and easy. Possibly because the same pattern makes a dressing gown. I actually used the dressing gown pockets rather than the patch pockets meant to go on this. You can just see them inside the coat here:

 

Still not so sure this was the best idea to use the inserted pockets rather than the patch pockets, but it does work, though as you can see on the inside is not so neat as it might be. I could catch the pocket liners down though I suppose which would make it neater inside. Here its worn over one of my long skull dresses.

I think this could also work as a kind of monkish fancy dress coat but it was made for going out in style to the local Pantomime which we are going to later this week.
Because its full length I can pretty much wear anything under this and it will be covered. 


Its kind of off putting though when I start to make coats because my track record to date is not good. I have several part made coats and jackets currently waiting for me to get round to finishing them. One goes right back to winter 2015 so I am feeling quite pleased to have actually got it together to finish this one and relatively quickly really. Thats really because its such an unstructured easy design to make, but then if that means I get to make a proper coat there is nothing much bad about that. I reckon I may yet try another coat in this design. Having a hood as well makes it so practical for UK weather. So many coats do not have hoods and when you live in a country where its usually raining thats what you really need. 

The pattern for this is from one of my vintage Burda magazines (bought for 99p off Ebay so the postage cost more than the mag but even then its still a bargain). This is style 132 from 10/2001 and I have to say if you wanted a lot of coat and jacket patterns this would be a good Burda to look out for.

Anyway, Happy New Year and I wish everyone the best possible luck for 2023

Take care 

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment