Saturday 24 December 2022

Festive PJ Trousers for Mick & Me and a pixie hat


I made these to wear over Christmas and New Year so we can just lounge about and be warm and cozy.

I bought the fabric for Mick's PJs before Christmas and when it arrived I realised it was not as wide as I had thought. Probably down to me not reading the description but its narrower than I envisaged so to make what I wanted meant I needed more fabric. Well it had sold out so instead of shorts I decided to make Mick some PJ trousers by using the fabric to do "colour blocking".

 

So hes got multi coloured PJ trousers to wear over the festive period and as it turns out I am actually very pleased with how these did work. They make for a slightly more interesting look.

And of course I can use the offcuts for next years Christmas bags - assuming that idea goes down well with relatives and friends. 

The pattern I used for Mick is my TNT New Look 6142 which is a brilliant pattern because its got trousers tops and vests all in the one pattern in both mens and womens fits.

I made a pair of these with rats on them a while ago as well as several pairs of shorts.  Though I did also add pockets because - well pockets! 

They are top stitched where the two prints join to make it a feature. I think it works. Though as you can probably see I added a bit to the hems to accomodate the seams where the colour blocks join and I obviously then sewed smaller seam allowances than I added meaning they have turned out too long. I will fix that in the next day or so - after Christmas. 

So these probably should have gone on the blog before Christmas but never mind. Its still the festive holiday and before New Year so that counts and life just does not always go quite to plan does it?

 

My red fluffy trousers are the Lekala sports trousers pattern and I have made these loads of times before. The original pair were the same bright scarlet but I think they are more wearable in red when PJs rather than the track pants I made back when.

More recently I have used this pattern to make my glitter sweatshirt trousers. This was super cheap fabric and I bought it on a whim before I sewed my fluffy pink top up and decided after my fluffy pink top was so difficult to make that  I would make something simpler with this - and this is thinner and sewed much easier. I have enough to maybe make a top as well but thats one for January at the earliest now. It was Mick's idea to use this for PJs and a very good idea that has turned out.

Worn here with my navy glitter sweatshirt which is just seen.




And my rainbow socks
and in front of the Christmas tree.

Out of the scraps I have left I also decided to make a pixie hat from a pattern I bought for a bolero but have never yet got round to using. Thats an early aim for my New Year's list which I have yet to decide upon. 

This pattern is Simplicity 1293 and its a faery costume pattern and has two different pixie hats. I never till now intended to make either hat but I now want to make the other one as well. I will have to make a smaller size next time because it turned out a bit on the big size, but this is just a fun hat for Christmas. It actually fits Mick better than me but he did not feel happy wearing it so its my hat for Christmas day.

And you can see my now quite old home made Christmas Gothic Fairy which we are still using for the tree after several years now. Though over time her gothic ( felt tip pen) eye makeup has smudged a bit.

 As usual my sewing stops at Christmas so we can use the table for the festivities.

Have a lovely day and wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,


Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment