Tuesday 27 August 2024

Grey circle top

 This is actually the second half of the dress I messed up that I also made my shortie top from. 


The dress was meant to have a circle skirt. Well that dress was a complete disaster and I gave up on it but many years ago when Burdstyle.com had loads of free patterns donated by designers and the public there was a top made from a circle like this one. I never kept the pattern but its been there in my head since I saw it, so I decided to make use of my messed up dress and use the skirt part to make one of these tops.

And I really like it.


Its a nice loose flowy top for a hot day when you would rather be covered up not stripped off. Like in the office or going shopping etc. Its almost a poncho top but its a T shirt.

I really was not so sure this would work out but it has.


The neck is off centre which helps to make this work I think. I wore it over a vest top that day when the photos were taken because it was a bit chilly but its actually a really nice top in its own rite on a hot day.

Here you can see the curve of the hemline.

I ended up making the armholes by sewing along the hem - otherwise this becomes a poncho and would show everything you've got to all and sundry. 

 

The sew along the hemline solution works well. It makes a very good armhole this way. I could not get sewing an actual sleeve shape up the main body of the top to work well at all. It was just messy to look at. Anyway just sew along your hemline if you make one and no one can see how its joined at the armhole.



Its a totally A-symetric top and I have to say its a really nice addition to my wardrobe because its something I would never get round to making. Or not unless something else goes wrong and I try to save the fabric anyway.

Someone once told me there is no such thing as a mistake - just something you did not intend to do thats all, and you need to be flexible to make such things work to your advantage. This top is one of those occasions.

Have a great week and thanks for popping by.

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment